Etape Loch Ness 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Ok so due to all this Corona Virus drama and if you think about how badly and quickly the situation can escalate in the next 5-6 weeks, do you think this year's etape loch ness will:

a) go on as scheduled with no issues
b) be moved to a later/tbd date
c) be scrapped altogether

Place your bets :laugh:

Obviously I hope for it to go on as scheduled, but my guts say it will be moved to a later date. Too much money involved, so the organisation won't scrap it, but if you look at how things are developing in other countries and all the lockdown measures that are being taken, I don't think it will happen in 6 weeks. I hope I'm wrong.

13 rider

Guru
Can't see it being moved to another date due to the full road closures .Most certainly won't be held during the summer months due to tourist traffic .
Let's hope it goes ahead

Slick

Guru
Ok so due to all this Corona Virus drama and if you think about how badly and quickly the situation can escalate in the next 5-6 weeks, do you think this year's etape loch ness will:

a) go on as scheduled with no issues
b) be moved to a later/tbd date
c) be scrapped altogether

Place your bets :laugh:

Obviously I hope for it to go on as scheduled, but my guts say it will be moved to a later date. Too much money involved, so the organisation won't scrap it, but if you look at how things are developing in other countries and all the lockdown measures that are being taken, I don't think it will happen in 6 weeks. I hope I'm wrong.
I am really looking forward to this and it's one of the few things that get me out on my bike in this weather and even done a couple of stints at the velodrome to make sure I'm in some sort of shape for it, but if I'm honest, I reckon the clever money is on a ban. :sad:

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

I'm reading on the BBC that in Scotland all gatherings of more than 500 people will be cancelled starting from next week.

I'm afraid it's not going to go on :sad:

Just waiting for en email from the organisers at this point.

rivers

How far can I go?
My friends and I have decided to go to Inverness for the weekend anyway if it's cancelled. We'll still take the bikes and go cycling. My wife will hire an e-bike, and I will plan routes for the weekend.

Slick

Guru
My friends and I have decided to go to Inverness for the weekend anyway if it's cancelled. We'll still take the bikes and go cycling. My wife will hire an e-bike, and I will plan routes for the weekend.
I think it will depend upon the exact situation at the time but I reckon I'll do the same but certainly wouldn't ride the route, more likely to head the other way round the Moray or similar.

rivers

How far can I go?
I think it will depend upon the exact situation at the time but I reckon I'll do the same but certainly wouldn't ride the route, more likely to head the other way round the Moray or similar.

Definitely won't ride the whole route, but may do an out and back on the B road side. Did that last summer and it was lovely. Pub stepson the loch as well.

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

There you go, received the email from the organisers.

They'll have an update next week on whether it will go on or not.

rivers

How far can I go?
We're deferring to next year as we can't make the september date. Playing it by ear with regards to the end of april

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I can't see many sportives going ahead now, if any at all. Most bring in riders from far and wide and people will no more want to travel than the locals want them coming in. Sad, but we are living in an unprecedented time.

Slick

Guru
Just received another email and this has now been cancelled for this year but I'm keeping my place for next year and I will remember how disappointed I felt both times it failed to go ahead and make the most of every mile. I just hope the small team we assembled can make it next April.

Top Bottom