Etrex 20 help please ...senility kicking in !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
Completely forgotten how to up load gmappsupp files to my sd card , when i try its telling me files are corrupted .Is the SD card buggered or my mind ?

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
Ps im using a different operting system too now , may it be that ?

gom

Über Member
You just copy it to the "garmin" folder on the sd card.
What is telling you the files are corrupted, etrex or computer?
You could try re-formatting the card (FAT32) using the computer, re-creating the folder, and copying the .img files back onto the card.
But perhaps the .img file really is corrupted. Or the sd card buggered - it does happen.

Crankarm

Guru
What sd card are you using? I always use SanDisk never a problem. As stated you could try reformatting the sd card although any files already on it will be lost. Also is the size of the sd card compatible with your eTrex 20? I have an eTrex 30 but have hardly used it as I prefer using Googlemaps and BikeMap.net.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
What's telling you what's corrupted?
Is it the Garmin, or the computer, and is it saying the card's corrupted or the gmapsupp.img file?
Also, how big is the card? (i.e. GB, or SD, SDHC, or SDXC)

SDXC cards (bigger than 32GB) are formatted exFAT by default, and many things won't read them because the makers have to pay Microsoft a royalty to use the exFAT filesystem. Windows won't format a card bigger than 32GB as FAT32, but other devices & software will.

Assuming that the gmapsupp.img file is one you've downloaded, and that the card is otherwise new, I'd try formatting it in the Garmin (which will be slow), then trying again. As noted earlier, the gmapsupp.img file has to be in a "Garmin" folder, otherwise it won't be found.
More caution will be required if it's a paid for card with OS data on it, or similar.

Top Bottom