Eurosport never fail to deliver…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

….snooker or tennis but often not the cycling that is supposed to be on (and indeed missing a whole stage recently )!!! (and I don’t necessarily mean live here [which you can understand if the preceding event runs over] but this was whole stages missing and/or recordings of something not cycling !!!).
Are they deliberately trying to force people to GCN or just continuing in incompetence?!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
its always been the same, even the sport search cycling is hidden under other sport.If your a british cycling member you get £10 off gcn if its ay help but make sure you cancel your old sub before it renews to get the discout

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
….snooker or tennis but often not the cycling that is supposed to be on (and indeed missing a whole stage recently )!!! (and I don’t necessarily mean live here [which you can understand if the preceding event runs over] but this was whole stages missing and/or recordings of something not cycling !!!).
Are they deliberately trying to force people to GCN or just continuing in incompetence?!
I was channel hopping the other day and saw that Eurosport was showing the Saudi Tour ..... except it wasn't. But that was OK because although it thought it was the Saudi Tour, it was actually more cycling, the "La Marseillaise". I was just getting in to it (with only a few km to the finish) when they suddenly cut to ads. At the end of the adds, back to cycling ..... except this was the Saudi Tour now! Later in the day it said it was showing Olympic curling ...... guess what? Saudi Tour again. I honestly don't think even the controllers of Eurosport know what they are currently showing sometimes.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I stupidly paid for Eurosport last year and then barely watched it. I don't know how much say they have in who is filming the cycling, but the one race I watched the filming was all over the place and never seemed to be on what you wanted to see and the commentators were dire. I won't be paying for it again that's for sure.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I stupidly paid for Eurosport last year and then barely watched it. I don't know how much say they have in who is filming the cycling, but the one race I watched the filming was all over the place and never seemed to be on what you wanted to see and the commentators were dire. I won't be paying for it again that's for sure.
The filming is the responsibility of the race production company. Often that's the national or regional broadcaster of the area (France Television for the Tour, RAI for the Giro, TVE for the Vuelta), but for some it's a company hired by the race organisers (such as Century TV for a lot of Sweetspot races in the UK, but I think it was unusually Dutch state broadcaster NOS for the Olympics and maybe some editions of RideLondon).

Commentators are often hired by the race producers too, at least in English, but broadcasters can use their own instead if they prefer. Eurosport's German-language team led by Karsten Migels and including Jens Voigt is pretty good.

It could be worse: itv once broadcast the Vuelta with only the race-provided commentator, a fairly new Australian commentator trying to keep the show afloat on his own, undermined by terrible "picture salad" highlights from TVE jumping back and forth (which may have made sense with their Spanish-language commentary but I doubt it) and just so jarring after the full range of experienced commentators and reporters on the Tour de France coverage. There were just a few complaints(!)

And going back to the start: Eurosport's teletext more often seems accurate than their EPG, if you still have a TV that can display teletext. I've not checked whether the schedule on their website is accurate.

The Eurosport/GCN commentary team are quite varied, they all have their own styles and the different pairings they use also influence how the commentary comes out. I certainly have some favourites and some not so favourites :smile:
A favourite combination over the cross season has been Marty Macdonald (from Glasgow) and Jeremy Powers (from the US), they’ve been very enjoyable.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

I was channel hopping the other day and saw that Eurosport was showing the Saudi Tour ..... except it wasn't. But that was OK because although it thought it was the Saudi Tour, it was actually more cycling, the "La Marseillaise". I was just getting in to it (with only a few km to the finish) when they suddenly cut to ads. At the end of the adds, back to cycling ..... except this was the Saudi Tour now! Later in the day it said it was showing Olympic curling ...... guess what? Saudi Tour again. I honestly don't think even the controllers of Eurosport know what they are currently showing sometimes.
It isn’t just me … one just has to laugh … I can’t fathom how they allow it to happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

I feel I need to bang on (it makes me feel better).
Numerous of my recordings of the UWE Tour look remarkably like Winter Olympics ?!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Get GCN+ and watch as much as you want whenever you want!
Only while you keep paying, compatible devices only, internet connection required, you'll be tracked within an inch of your life and no easy recording! I'll tolerate E1's scheduling foibles to avoid all that... I especially liked them keeping broadcasting Le Samyn des Dames until the podium was shown. Not the riders climbing onto it. Just the empty podium. Then adverts and off to snooker!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Only while you keep paying
You need to pay for things sometimes.
If you want to watch cycling then, for a relatively small investment and to see races not always covered by ES, then GCN+ is the best option.
Either that or carry on whingeing, year on year, about ES is not cutting the mustard. Missed recordings, adverts.
I'm not in the pay of GCN+ and I also have Eurosprt for other sports but if you don't want the best solution I have to wonder if you're being deliberately perverse.

Top Bottom