Eurovision - The Aftermath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We came last.
Our song was utter crap. Lighthouse Family circa 1995. We deserved no better and nothing we've served up in recent years deserves much better.

Sir Wogan of BBC is on the verge of throwing teddy and stomping off in a huff. FFS, we're crap and deserve no better. Oh and countries who neighbour us, oooh, Ireland for example, tend to vote for us. Imagine! But if other countries do the same it's tantamount to cheating. GROW UP WOGAN, WE'RE RUBBISH!
Until we enter Dragonforce, we're screwed...

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Dragonforce are good. But if we entered them then we might have a chance of winning. And what would be the point in that?

wafflycat

Hate to disagree with the Chuffers, but I don't think our song was crap. Nor did I think it the best there, but it was a decent soul song, well sung by a bloke with a great voice. It was hugely better than many there.

I do believe that Lord Tel of RugTop was complaining about the overtly political voting of many a forn nation, rather than voting for a song rather than a general whinge about us not winning. It was more that he felt (and I agree) that on the basis of the song & the performance we should not have been last.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
wafflycat said:
Hate to disagree with the Chuffers, but I don't think our song was crap. Nor did I think it the best there, but it was a decent soul song, well sung by a bloke with a great voice. It was hugely better than many there.

I do believe that Lord Tel of RugTop was complaining about the overtly political voting of many a forn nation, rather than voting for a song rather than a general whinge about us not winning. It was more that he felt (and I agree) that on the basis of the song & the performance we should not have been last.

Agreed.

It shows how good the Greek entry really was that it survived the political onslaught of the Balkan Bloc and the Russo-Baltic Bloc. There has always been tit-for tat voting, but usually the odd one neighbour for another. The trend of the last couple of years has shown that such behaviour is now the Norm rather than an amusing bit of local politics.

On a local note, Andy the binman did OK, the song wasn't anything special, it certainly didn't deserve to win or even be amongst the top runners, but it was likeable and well performed and I don't think it deserved to be last. But look at all the top countries and their former political alliegences? I don't think there are sour grapes about our performance per-se, but a realisation that the cards are really stacked against any nation that is not Balkan or formerly Russian. I think we're all aware the world is changing.
I would expect the organisers are going to have a long think about how to score this "Singing Competition" in future.
Roll on Eurovision 2009.

PrettyboyTim

I was disappointed by the final scores for the UK. I thought it was quite a serviceable little tune, funky and well sung by Andy Abrahams. Certainly it was our best Eurovision entry for some time.

It sucked to see us joint last alongside The Germans Who Couldn't Sing in Tune. I couldn't believe it when some country gave them 12 points.

Rob S

I watch it to see the songs performed and I'm not interested how the UK does....in fact I wouldn't miss us if we didn't have a song in it.

redfox

Rob S said:
I watch it to see the songs performed and I'm not interested how the UK does....in fact I wouldn't miss us if we didn't have a song in it.

I cant understand how we keep getting through the semi-final process, way better songs get kicked out, or does the size of our tv audience exclude us?

Keith Oates

Janner
Rob S said:

If the scores are anything to go buy we didn't have one this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Fortunately I was out at a gig by a Fleetwood Mac tribute band called Fleetwood Bac. They were excellent, they sounded and looked like the real deal. I couldn't really be bothered with Eurovision and haven't for many years. It is a big jolly up for the television presenters and the companies around Europe.

Rob S

redfox said:
I cant understand how we keep getting through the semi-final process, way better songs get kicked out, or does the size of our tv audience exclude us?

Since 2000 we go through automatically along with Spain, France and Germany as we put up so much of the money required to run it. Semi finals were introduced in 2004...before that there was a relegation type process (started in 1993)

If we were forced to take part in a semifinal we'd probably be last in that too.

redfox

Rob S said:
Since 2000 we go through automatically along with Spain, France and Germany as we put up so much of the money required to run it.

Probably just as well. Spain aside if any on of these dropped into the lower leagues we'd never be seen again.

redfox

Surely its time for a triple accord whereby France, Germany and the UK all agree to vote for each other?

I noticed that we didn't even get a point from Malta this time, they are normally our 12 point banker!

Top Bottom