Eurovision - The Aftermath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
It would be interesting to see what would happen if somebody could be bothered to look at the votes and subtract all those which were obviously down to corrupt little foreigners voting for their mates. What's left over should give an idea of what were the best songs.

Or you start another competition in which only proper countries are allowed to take part.

Blue

Legendary Member
Tony Bell said:
It wouldn't matter who represented the UK in this contest. Everyone hates us!:smile:

There isn't a holy book compiled that contains a statement with more truth ;)

yenrod

wafflycat said:
Hate to disagree with the Chuffers, but I don't think our song was crap. Nor did I think it the best there, but it was a decent soul song, well sung by a bloke with a great voice. It was hugely better than many there.

I do believe that Lord Tel of RugTop was complaining about the overtly political voting of many a forn nation, rather than voting for a song rather than a general whinge about us not winning. It was more that he felt (and I agree) that on the basis of the song & the performance we should not have been last.

2ND'd ! ;)

wafflycat

redfox said:
I cant understand how we keep getting through the semi-final process, way better songs get kicked out, or does the size of our tv audience exclude us?

UK has an automatic final place because we pay for a large chunk of the costs of the competition to run...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Andy in Sig said:
It would be interesting to see what would happen if somebody could be bothered to look at the votes and subtract all those which were obviously down to corrupt little foreigners voting for their mates. What's left over should give an idea of what were the best songs.

Or you start another competition in which only proper countries are allowed to take part.
Certainly Greece and Turkey did well on Merit last night.

Mr Pig

Tony Bell said:
It wouldn't matter who represented the UK in this contest. Everyone hates us!;)

I think so. Aligning ourselves with the USA in the middle east has been a total disaster and a really stupid thing to do considering the evil agenda of the Bush administration.

Anyway, the songs, who cares! I always thought the Euro no-vision was a joke. Britain produces some of the best rock and pop music in the world yet when it comes to this so-called song contest do we get the people who make them to make one for us? Nope. Almost certainly because high-level artists wouldn't want to be associated with the dross that constitutes this feast of the ridiculous.

It's a laugh. Who cares who wins?

Rob S

It would be interesting to compare how each country voted over the last few years, particularly of the new countries.

One thing is clear....since coming 3rd in 2002 we have then come 26th (Gemini with the 0pts), 16th, 22nd, 19th, 22nd and last night equal last. This isn't just because of the expansion of the eastern European/Russian countries in 93 &94 because between then and 2002 we won once, two seconds and a third, although 99,00,01 saw our then very clear worst run of all time with 14th, 16th and 15th.

France have also suffered after their 2002 5th place with 18th, 15th, 23rd, 22nd, 22nd and last nights which I forget.

wafflycat

Interesting article in The Times online at

Eurovision: nul points for harmony

Includes:-

"“The period since the mid-1990s has seen the emergence of large geographical voting blocs from previously small voting partnerships,” Gatherer revealed in a paper pithily entitled Comparison of Eurovision Song Contest Simulation with Actual Results Reveals Shifting Patterns of Collusive Voting Alliances.
“On at least two occasions the outcome of the contest has been crucially affected by voting blocs. The structure of these blocs implies that a handful of centrally placed countries have a higher probability of being future winners.”
Although the eight Nordic and Baltic states form a so-called Viking Empire, there is no western European bloc for the UK to belong to."

Bigtallfatbloke

there should be two seperate sections of the competition..the eastern block and the honest peoples of western europe. Then when the two remaining songs are left only then they should go head.

Another quicker route would be for the uK to up it's bribery and corruption budjet.

girofan

Renard said:
Hmm, glad I was out!

Poor song, ridiculous contest dreamed up by some Euro jobsworth in the mid-fifties to unite popular culture in Western Europe, which in those days did not encapsulate the Balkan states or the Soviet Bloc.
History shows that some of the problems in Europe over the past couple of centuries evolve in the Balkans. The Eurovision Song Contest is just following the tradition!

Mr Pig said:
Anyway, the songs, who cares! I always thought the Euro no-vision was a joke. Britain produces some of the best rock and pop music in the world yet when it comes to this so-called song contest do we get the people who make them to make one for us? Nope. Almost certainly because high-level artists wouldn't want to be associated with the dross that constitutes this feast of the ridiculous.

It's a laugh. Who cares who wins?

I quite agree.

Top Bottom