Eurovision - The Aftermath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
Fair point.

Rob S

cisamcgu said:
Where is Italy ? They never seem to turn up ? Do they just have more taste/sense than the rest of Europe ?

I don't know why but they last took part in 1997, when they came 4th...before that they took part in 93 and practically every one before that, including the first one.

I read somewhere that the cost of Eurovision nearly bankrupted RTE and that the cost at present to the hosts is something like 12 or 13 million pounds!

I think that winning is not high on the agenda or some countries!

Edited..
Just found a quote that Serbia spent some 19 million euros!

Rob S

Cunobelin said:
I read somewhere that the cost of Eurovision nearly bankrupted RTE and that the cost at present to the hosts is something like 12 or 13 million pounds!

That is a lot but imagine it could be well worth it in tourist advertising terms...the whole of Europe are watching the clips before the songs which used to be filmed in touristy bits....though Serbia did theirs in a cupboard with a white backdrop.

Rob S

Mr Pig said:
What good is that when the only people watching are people who never get out?

We're talking about Eurovision...not Star Trek!!

Rob S

Mr Pig said:
Same type of people, different age groups!

Not really sure how you work that out....ESC is a bit of kitsch fun for one evening a year that people often base parties around....the other is for sci-fi nerds to enjoy on their own.

llllllll

Mr Pig said:
Anyway, the songs, who cares! I always thought the Euro no-vision was a joke. Britain produces some of the best rock and pop music in the world yet when it comes to this so-called song contest do we get the people who make them to make one for us? Nope. Almost certainly because high-level artists wouldn't want to be associated with the dross that constitutes this feast of the ridiculous.

It's a laugh. Who cares who wins?

Exactly. Why do people get so wound up by this? Bloc voting has been going on for years and years, yet every year people seem surprised that it's happened. Let's face it, Eurovison is xxxx. The acts that take part are not only xxxx, but wouldn't have a hope in hell of selling any records in the real world (if any part of the pop music business can be called real world) and every single one of them will be long forgotten by the end of next week. The only entertainment (and admittedly it's quite a lot) you can derive from Eurovision is laughing at how awful the foreign acts are (ours are usually awful as well, but that's not funny, just embrassing).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
llllllll said:
Exactly. Why do people get so wound up by this? Bloc voting has been going on for years and years, yet every year people seem surprised that it's happened. Let's face it, Eurovison is xxxx. The acts that take part are not only xxxx, but wouldn't have a hope in hell of selling any records in the real world (if any part of the pop music business can be called real world) and every single one of them will be long forgotten by the end of next week. The only entertainment (and admittedly it's quite a lot) you can derive from Eurovision is laughing at how awful the foreign acts are (ours are usually awful as well, but that's not funny, just embrassing).

You don't really get-it do you...

Top Bottom