Eurovision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yep - they have some funny pronunciations in Sweden. The town Jornkoping (little : s on the o) is pronounced "Yern sherping"; "Borg" (as in town) is pronounced "borr-ye".

These crazee Scandiwegians! My sister speaks Swedish and they have some fun stuff to play with.

In Wallander, the name Nyberg was pronounced 'Neebay', as in 'Ebay', but with an 'N' at the beginning. I did notice others, too.

Hmmm, they sound sufficiently interesting to try and learn bits of!!

Last edited:
Are we any better?

I used to live near a village called Houghton

The locals pronounced it "Hoe-tun"
The posh people in the vilage itself insisted it was "How-Tonn"
The Americans called it "Huff-tun"

Ganymede

Veteran
In Wallander, the name Nyberg was pronounced 'Neebay', as in 'Ebay', but with an 'N' the beginning. I did notice others, too.

Hmmm, they sound sufficiently interesting to try and learn bits of!!
My sister tells me that Swedish (well, like English of course) varies a lot the further north you go. They have a way of saying "yes" which in the north is completely voiceless and looks like you are whistling inwards - put your lips in a whistle shape and suck instead of blow. Cue lots of southern jokes about how northerners clean the fluff from under the bed etc.
Are we any better?

I used to live near a village called Houghton

The locals pronounced it "Hoe-tun"
The posh people in the vilage itself insisted it was "How-Tonn"
The Americans called it "Huff-tun"

In Kent, they pronounce Trottiscliffe as "Trosely".

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
My sister tells me that Swedish (well, like English of course) varies a lot the further north you go. They have a way of saying "yes" which in the north is completely voiceless and looks like you are whistling inwards - put your lips in a whistle shape and suck instead of blow. Cue lots of southern jokes about how northerners clean the fluff from under the bed etc.

In Kent, they pronounce Trottiscliffe as "Trosely".
:wacko:, just :wacko:!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Dalziel - Dee-ell
Strathaven - Straiven
Queenzieburn - Queenieburn
Balquhidder - Balwhidder
Ballachulish - Ballahoolish

Etc etc.

Top Bottom