Eurovision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
In the recordings the "Havn" bit is said slightly differently by different people - it means harbour (ie haven like Milford Haven). I hope you get to hear them on another device! I don't know why the Danes prefer the "Copen-hay-gen" anglicism to the "haagen" version - could be historical preference. I mean, we all know how the French pronounce "Paris" but they don't mind us saying "pariss" when we're speaking our own tongue, and we don't mind them saying "Londres" when they're speaking French.

(I love languages.)
Strange, but the first thing I noticed was the difference in the first vowel - some with an almost English-style o and some with a German-style ö. It's probably not any bigger a difference between Lunnon and Lundun, though.

Ganymede

Veteran
Strange, but the first thing I noticed was the difference in the first vowel - some with an almost English-style o and some with a German-style ö. It's probably not any bigger a difference between Lunnon and Lundun, though.

True - maybe I was just concentrating on the disputed syllable!

BTW people are mentioning the French speaking French on the programme - from ye olden dayes I remember that Eurovision used to be partly in French as it is one of the joint languages. Hence the traditional saying: "nul points"...

Stephenite

Membå
I can read Danish but, effing eck, the above video is true. They haven't a clue themselves what they are saying half the time.

Ganymede

Veteran
I can read Danish but, effing eck, the above video is true. They haven't a clue themselves what they are saying half the time.

They also really, really don't think you'll be able to speak it. I remember getting a colleague to say a phrase slowly, then I repeated it, then I speeded it up with added porridge-chewing and he was completely astounded that it sounded Danish. They all speak brilliant English of course.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I remember watching Wallander quite a while ago now and they were talking about something in Copenhagen, and the way they pronounced it (in Swedish obviously), it sounded like 'Shopenhavn'.

Is that correct for Swedish or was I hearing things??

Ganymede

Veteran
I remember watching Wallander quite a while ago now and they were talking about something in Copenhagen, and the way they pronounced it (in Swedish obviously), it sounded like 'Shopenhavn'.

Is that correct for Swedish or was I hearing things??

Yep - they have some funny pronunciations in Sweden. The town Jornkoping (little : s on the o) is pronounced "Yern sherping"; "Borg" (as in town) is pronounced "borr-ye".

These crazee Scandiwegians! My sister speaks Swedish and they have some fun stuff to play with.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Regarding pronunciation of the danish language -
I think this video should clear up any arguments:

I find that video highly offensive - good thing it's also pretty entertaining :laugh:

Regarding pronounciation of my nation's capital, the link posted by @snorri only scratches the surface. Only one of them has anything close to a "non-posh" accent. Go to Jutland and you will hear much more interesting pronounciations.

I suspect the Danish preference for the haygen-version in English has something to do with "haagen" being the German pronounciation.

Ganymede

Veteran
I find that video highly offensive - good thing it's also pretty entertaining :laugh:

Regarding pronounciation of my nation's capital, the link posted by @snorri only scratches the surface. Only one of them has anything close to a "non-posh" accent. Go to Jutland and you will hear much more interesting pronounciations.

I suspect the Danish preference for the haygen-version in English has something to do with "haagen" being the German pronounciation.

Ah... could well explain it!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It appear the great british viewing public and our music industry jury did not agree with one another on who was best....

ww.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/eurovision-2014-voting-controversy-after-uk-jury-revealed-to-place-conchita-first--but-british-public-voted-for-donatan--cleo-9351644.html

Top Bottom