Euston to Dover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

14june1942

I've been told its possible to take a bike from Euston to London Bridge then on to Dover. Can anyone advise on the feasibility of this? Presumably one would have to avoid rush hours. But would you need to make a prior bike reservation on the London Bridge to Dover leg. Are there any man traps eg stairs or escalators? Am thinking of this as an alternative to the Bike Express, which takes forever.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
14june1942 said:
I've been told its possible to take a bike from Euston to London Bridge then on to Dover. Can anyone advise on the feasibility of this? Presumably one would have to avoid rush hours. But would you need to make a prior bike reservation on the London Bridge to Dover leg. Are there any man traps eg stairs or escalators? Am thinking of this as an alternative to the Bike Express, which takes forever.

It depends who the train operator is but I would think it's ok out of rush hours.
I took a laden bike from Brighton to Dover recently.

The operator is Southeastern and this is their cycle policy

Service Details
Cycle Policy Yes
Cycle Policy - Note Cycles are not permitted on peak time services arriving in London from Mon to Fri between 07:00 and 09:59, and leaving London between 16:00 and 18:59. Folding cycles may be carried on board any train, provided they are folded before being taken onto the train.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
If you're thinking you can take the bike on the tube, then you can't.....

Go to King's Cross and take the Thameslink

Cycle from Euston to London Bridge, the bicycle has wheels remember and a saddle, at some point you will have to ride it, a lot of the trains have a cycle area near the toilet.

snorri

Legendary Member
Cycling in London may be a bit daunting if you have not done it before, but is not so bad really.:wacko: With a good map and a little planning you can often avoid the busiest roads.
Just make sure you know where you want to go, allow loads of time and you will be OK.:eek:
(Spoken by someone who considers Burntisland a big place!)

In fact you are better cycling from Euston to Victoria and getting the Dover train from there, that way you can get the fast train and Victoria is easier to get a bike through.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'd cycle, to be honest. Cycling in London sounds much scarier than it really is...if you need a hand planning the route, let us know on here. There are enough Londoners (or exiled Londoners) to help out.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I'd disagree with the post about getting a map and avoiding the busy routes, in many ways the main roads are the safest, most have bus lanes and plenty of space.

If you take the backstreets people will be trying to squeeze past you and will keep on pulling out on you etc

jay clock

Massive member
London is much better than most places for cycling, as bikes are quicker than the other vehicles, and the drivers are used to having bikes around. Euston to LB could be a lovely scenic ride, and is not more than a gentle 25mins.

I do it at least once or twice a year - out the front door at Euston - cycle to london Bridge max 35 minutes loaded take last train out of LB (no need for reservation) to dover by 330 - boat by 430 - france 530 - 630 local cafes just opening in calais coffee and get started on road - tricky to find early train to anywhere useful

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Don't need to do any of that, just walk to Kings cross Pentonville Road entrance, 5-10 minutes, then take the Thameslink train direct to London Bridge

orbiter

zimzum42 said:
Don't need to do any of that, just walk to Kings cross Pentonville Road entrance, 5-10 minutes, then take the Thameslink train direct to London Bridge

Er...no! The Thameslink station is now in St Pancras. Kings Cross Thameslink in Pentonville road closed last year, when St P reopened for Eurostar.

Take a short ride along Euston Rd, then L into Midland Rd and the entrance is 500yd up on the right. Don't use the obvious Euston Rd main entrance or you'll be battling through a shopping mall. A couple of long flights of steps down to TL - but there is a lift :tongue: A short flight of steps at LB.

I'd cycle it. Cross Euston Rd into Woburn Place, Southampton Row, Kingsway, L into Fleet St, R at Ludgate Circus, across Blackfriars Bridge. Maybe not the prettiest or quietest way but quick with easy navigation. Then chill out by going down to the embankment and along the riverside to LB (and if you've time stop at the Founders or Anchor for a pint).

Too much hassle getting up and down to the tube :biggrin:

Top Bottom