Euston to Dover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ronstrutt

I love cycling across London. As others have said, go for the big roads, they're a doddle. Just ignore the big red things that try to squash into the very wide bike lanes with you.

ronmac

Any updates from London cyclists ?? (Please !!)

Previous entries probably tell me all I need to know but I Just wondered if anybody had any updates or new info regarding getting from Euston to London Bridge at 7:30 a.m. on a weekday, early April, with a fully loaded touring bicycle. First time cycling in London. Thanks in advance. Ron.

snorri

Legendary Member
ronmac said:
First time cycling in London. Thanks in advance. Ron.
A friendly tip from another visitor to London.
Coming out of Euston Station and seeing the motor traffic roaring along Euston Road is :biggrin::ohmy::ohmy:. and comes as quite a culture shock after arriving on the sleeper train from Inverness:biggrin:., but I believe this really is the worst part. I usually walk down to the Ped crossing, cross Euston Road then cycle down Woburn place and soon find normal confidence returning.:biggrin: Just concentrate on cycling and don't be distracted by the pedestrians;).
I will leave it to the Londoners to fill you in on the route details.

andym

Über Member
I make this journey quite regularly. Here is my recommended route

cross Euston Road
Upper Woburn Place;
Tavistock Square;
left into Tavistock Place;
follow the two-way cycle path (beware traffic crossing from the right and be aware that there are separate lights for cyclists at some of the junctions);
continue on the cycle lane/cycle route through Regent's Square and Sidmouth Street until you get to Kingsway College;
right onto Gray's Inn Road;
continue past Condor Bikes and straight on at next set of lights;
left onto High Holborn;
continue on to Holborn Viaduct (watch out for people turning left without signalling at the roundabout by Hatton Gardens and the Sainsbury's Head Office);
continue on Newgate Street passing the Old Bailey;
as you get to the lights by St Paul's tube (just opposite the bombed-out church) filter right then turn left onto the (one-way) King Edward Street, then first right (hence need to filter right) onto Angel Street (marked buses only) then right again onto St Martin le Grand;
you need to cross St Martin le Grand (not as scary as it first seems - drivers are normally very good at giving way);
left onto Cheapside;
continue along Poultry until you get to the lights by 1 Poultry (big James Stirling building with a branch of Tesco on the ground floor);
right onto King William Street;
at the traffic lights at the junction of King William Street position yourself on the right;
turn left then sharp right onto London Bridge;
at the end of London Bridge take the second turning on the left (the first turning on the left, by Evans cycles and the spiky thing is Tooley Street) and into the station.

Trains for Dover usually leave from Platform 5.

ronmac

Many thanks

Snorri, as ever thanks for that input. Ron.
Andym, What can I say. You went to a lot of bother to spell out that route in great detail. Many, many thanks. I'll study it on the maps in fine detail and this is the route I'll take. I'm sure a lot of it will still look familiar to me as I worked for a few months in the 70's as a driver at Smithfield meat market. The roads were busy then but probably nothing like the manic situation now. Cheers. Ron.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
damn, damn and double damn. I looked at the thread title and thought that I could wheel out my route to Dover.

'fold up that map.....'

ronmac

Oops, Sorry.

dellzeqq said:
damn, damn and double damn. I looked at the thread title and thought that I could wheel out my route to Dover.

'fold up that map.....'

Sorry about that Dellzegg. I just used this thread as it had taken the direction of my query (Euston to London Bridge). Maybe somebody will now get it back on track by posting routes(s) from Euston to Dover. All the best. Ron.

Top Bottom