Euston to Newhaven, route help appreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JackE

Über Member
We cycled from Lewes to Newhaven via Rodmell a few years ago and, though it was busy (a Friday afternoon) we never felt uncomfortable or at risk. I found the coast road from Newhaven to Brighton much busier, one of my cycling nightmares in fact (the wind didn't help). Amazing how experiences differ.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
JackE said:
We cycled from Lewes to Newhaven via Rodmell a few years ago and, though it was busy (a Friday afternoon) we never felt uncomfortable or at risk. I found the coast road from Newhaven to Brighton much busier, one of my cycling nightmares in fact (the wind didn't help). Amazing how experiences differ.

This is true. The Rodmell road is fine compared to the A26 and the coast road (A259). There is traffic but I cycle it regularly and it is easily the nicest option.
The A259 has some traffic free bits (the Undercliff Walk, Marine Parade) but a substantial bit on road with many cars and busues.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Thanks for all this advice people. Rich_p and BTP you might just have saved my life with the A26 info. Fortunately I've got all day (and night if I need it, probably will as I'm sure to get lost !) to get to Newhaven (I sail out following day). I think I'll stick mainly to back roads after about Croydon. The B2026 Westerham to Uckfield looks a canditate on the map. Does anybody have an opinion on this. Regards. Ron.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Have a word with dellzeqq of this parish, who runs a regular night ride from central London to the coast. I believe he has occasionally ended up in Newhaven.

edit: I should have added that he has trenchant views on the Wandle trail!

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Thanks srw, Will consider that, though I'm happy with all the info I'm getting from you guys. Regardless of which route I pick I'm sure I'll get lost and end up going a completely different way anyway. I've got a compass and will just make sure I'm heading south most of the time ! p.s. I've decided against the Wandle trail. I'll make my to Elephant and Castle (as advised by previous contributor) and take it from there. Ron.

andym

Über Member
ronmac said:
I'll make my to Elephant and Castle (as advised by previous contributor) and take it from there. Ron.

I live near to the Old Kent Road, and I know it's easy to be jaded about your home ground, but I have to say it's a pretty tedious haul out to the M25 (though you might find a few places to break the monotony). Have you though about simply getting on the Thameslink at Kings Cross and going out to somewhere like Redhill and then riding from there? Yes I know it's cheating, but sometimes a little bit of cheating is not a bad thing.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Ron. if you want to PM me your address I'll post you my 'scenic' route out of London which is pretty painless and gets you into the countryside asap. Obviously, I won't be offended if you choose a different way!

OP
OP
R

ronmac

rich p said:
Ron. if you want to PM me your address I'll post you my 'scenic' route out of London which is pretty painless and gets you into the countryside asap. Obviously, I won't be offended if you choose a different way!

Rich_p, Thanks for that offer. I'd have no problem posting you my address but I've actually (I think !)decided to take the train from London Bridge to Caterham and start from there ! For me this was never about the challenge of doing London to Paris. It's just the first time I'm goin away for a couple of weeks on the bike and that seemed like a good idea. Now I think I may as well take the more enjoyable options. Same in France, I'll have a good look around the Normandy/Picardy countryside on bicycle but may just do a bus or train visit to Paris. But I'm worse than a woman so reserve the right to change my mind (again!). One things for sure - I'm on the ferry to Dieppe and am in France for about 10 days. Cheers. Ron.

jay clock

Massive member
I've actually (I think !)decided to take the train from London Bridge to Caterham
not a bad idea. Although I am happy cycling in London, the first 10 miles south of the river will never win scenery awards. Having said that I sued to live in Camberwell so a spin down the Walworth Road would be memory lane!

Ergle

Über Member
ronmac said:
decided to take the train from London Bridge to Caterham and start from there !

Excellent idea - South London is horrible to cycle through unless you know the quiet routes.
I suggest a slight variation on the theme - the London Bridge to Caterham train stops at every station and takes ages. An alterative would be to cycle to Victoria Station (a nicer ride taking in Hyde Park and Belgravia) then take the East Grinstead train to Woldingham - a nicer and quicker train. From there you can pick up the sustrans route South over the North Downs, then cycle down through Surrey and Sussex, beautiful countryside. More detailed info available if you would like it - this is my local area.
Ergle

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Ergie, Thanks for that. Sounds promising. I'll check out the maps and get back to you within a few days. I had noticed the Caterham train took close to an hour which I thought quite long. Having said that I do have all day. Much obliged. Ron.

mcr

Veteran
Another option - though it doesn't win any awards for speed - is, assuming you're coming down on the sleeper, get out at Watford Junction rather than Euston and there's an hourly through train (Southern) to East Croydon, with onward connections - even direct to Newhaven - should you wish. Only thing is, you won't be able to take your bike on a weekday at that hour (same I would imagine with the Thameslink in the rush 'hour').

Ergle

Über Member
ronmac said:
Ergie, Thanks for that. Sounds promising. I'll check out the maps and get back to you within a few days. I had noticed the Caterham train took close to an hour which I thought quite long. Having said that I do have all day. Much obliged. Ron.

I checked the route while riding my local loop at the weekend.
Leaving the train you'll need to cross the tracks - there is a footbridge, but as an alternative turn right out of the station, then right again after about 200 metres, then over the railway via a bridge. After 100m turn right between old farm buildings - this is a public footpath (although it may appear not to be).
The path leads to a tarmac road, turn left on to it, this is sustrans route 21 to Redhill and Gatwick.
Past the school, then at the end of the school drive, at a T junction the sustrans route is to the right. At this point I would leave the sustrans - it leads to tracks which may be difficult on a laden bike.
Ergle

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Thanks again for that Ergie. The one decision I have made is to follow your advice and cycle down to Victoria station from Euston. As I'm doing that I was thinking I may as well stay on train to East Grinstead. It is then a relatively short 35 miles or so to Newhaven. A nice introduction to my first tour as I've got plenty of time to do it and can be flexible with what roads I take. Thanks to you and the other contributors for making my planning easier and giving me confidence to handle London. I've several hours in London on my return and may even be confident enough to cycle around looking at the sights. Then again I may be better leaving bicycle in left luggage at Euston and walking around the sights.
All the best. Ron.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
ronmac said:
Thanks again for that Ergie. The one decision I have made is to follow your advice and cycle down to Victoria station from Euston. As I'm doing that I was thinking I may as well stay on train to East Grinstead.

I think that would be a mistake. East Grinstead to Newhaven is tough going on a laden bike, and you have a lot more map reading to do if you take the Horsted Keynes route. I'd go to Horley and head for the B2036 southwards (come out of station, turn right, go 200 yards, and you're on it) before glancing off to Turners Hill. This is a long drag up, but not unpleasant. From Turners Hill you swoop down to Ardingly and Lindfield, then fork left at the post office, take a right/left at the A272 which takes you to Wivelsfield. Turn left and just continue on, ignoring siren calls from the DfT signposting left turns to Lewes. The road you're on goes pretty much in to Lewes, and, having gone through Lewes (which will require a sketch map - the signposts aren't good), as others have suggested, keeping west of the river down to Newhaven is really very pleasant - you even get a sweet view of the town (or the sweetest that is possible bar going to Aix-en-Provence instead) as you come in.

Other people have suggested that cycling through South London is a trial. Well, they're wrong. Cycling through South London is like going to heaven. It will put a song in your heart. And, if you think you can stand the joy, I can give you a simple route out to Horley which you'll be telling your grandchildren about.....

I like the Woldingham School route for some things by the way - it's an excellent night time route, but the roads south of the A25 can be icky.

You could take a through train from Watford to Gatwick, and this can take you to the B2036, but you need to know the Schlumberger car park trick....

And - if I'm free, I'll pick you up at Euston and take you down to Newhaven. I'd reckon on adding an hour to your usual time for the distance.

Top Bottom