Euston to Newhaven, route help appreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ronmac

As part of my London to Paris trip in April I've got to find a way of getting from Euston to Newhaven on a Wednesday morning commencing at 07:30. I'd much appreciate any advice on this as I haven't cycled in London though have visited a few times. Considering Tottenham Court Road to Waterloo Bridge and then Wandle Trail to Croydon and then take it from there. Or would it be better just to go all the way by road. I've got all day to do trip as I don't sail till following day. Any advice / opinions greatly appreciated. Ron.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've cycled from that area to Brighton (near Newhaven) a few times but I've taken the scenic route which may not be the best choice for you.
I cycled the canal to Canary Wharf from Hackney and under the Thames using the Greenwich foot tunnel. Then wiggled down on the back roads to the coast. I could be more specific but there are more direct and straightforward routes.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Ron, if you're heading for Newhaven that evening then I suggest you plan your route through Lewes rather thanBrighton, which would entail an albeit rather nice, 15 mile ride along the coast. You would either have to 'do' Ditchling Beacon (1 mile of 10%) into Brighton or the cycle path alongside the very busy A23. Where are you spending the Wednesday night ; in Newhaven?

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Rich_p, Thanks for that advice, I'll definitely head thru Lewes. Not sure how I'll get there but when I get south of Croydon area I'll probably take some of the 'back' roads and just follow my nose (and map). I'm not too bothered about hills, I consider it part of the challenge and good exercise (even if I have to get off and push!).
I've got a wee mantra I recite when going uphill, one word per pedal push "i-really-love-hills, I-really-love -hills....". I'm usually shouting it through gritted teeth as I get near the top.
I'll probably spend night camping in a caravan park in or near Newhaven, though if the weather is really bad I can always take a b&b but I'd rather not. I know from the internet that there's a few caravan parks in the vicinity. I'll check these out nearer the time. Regards. Ron.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If you do end up riding from Lewes to Newhaven, don't take the A26. It's full of lorries from the port and industrial estates, and refuse trucks from the landfill site. There is a much nicer route from Lewes through Southover, Iford, Rodmell, Piddinghoe. Look it up on the map, it'll be worth it. It runs almost parallel to the A26.
Good luck.

ps. Newhaven is a hole!

jay clock

Massive member
Tottenham Ct Rd is one way the wrong way. From euston, come out onto Euston rd , then turn right down Upper Woburn Place. This changes names several times but hits the Aldwych after 1.5 miles. Go round that, then cross over Waterloo Bridge.... It will be busy, but tons of cyclists around. Take it easy, ask some other cyclists for help

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Jay_clock. That's brilliant information. Just what I was looking for. I much appreciate it and that's the route I'll go. It's good to know there'll be other cyclists around, i.e. I won't stand out like a sore thumb and the drivers are accustomed to cyclists. Though to be honest I've no fears about cycling on these roads as I've been driving for 40 years and have a fair amount of road sense. I'm not in a hurry so won't do any rash moves and will always give way to vehicles and pedestrians even if I have right of way. I'm out to enjoy the trip so try to remain chilled out. Cheers. Ron. p.s. Rich_p thanks for the Lewes > Newhaven advice pps just read you're Normandy cycle trip diary - excellent I admire yourself and other half. My other half knits and watches coronation street (but we're happy, absence makes the heart grow fonder).

TwoTired

Try googling "London to Brighton cycle ride". So popular it must throw up a map or two plus alternatives. That route starts at Clapham Common so S/O past Waterloo Station to Elephant & Castle then right onto A3 - not the greatest route but hard to get lost. In Wivelsfield (or perhaps Ditchling) you veer south-east towards Lewes and then the lanes to Newhaven

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Thanks for that two_tired. I'll certainly consider that option. Thanks to you guys I think I can get myself from Euston to across Waterloo Bridge. I'll probably take a few wrong turns after that but I know my general direction is south. Does anybody have an opinion of cycling along South Bank to Wandsworth and then taking Wandle trail to Croydon area ? Cheers. Ron.

TwoTired

To answer your query, turn right at Waterloo roundabout, then straight on thru Lambeth, Vauxhall, Battersea, etc to Wandsworth. Then look for the river Wandle, simply a matter of hugging the Thames on the southside. Bus lanes so comparatively safe but main road all the way.

Despite its publicity, the Wandle Trail doesnt go to Croydon. It goes to Carshalton (then turns left on the main road to Croydon). Whilst pleasant, the Trail isnt to be hurried. It has the usual anti-motorbike traps which can be awkward with a loaded bike and crosses several roads where you may have to dismount (or at least stop).

The L2B also goes thru Carshalton but then heads up the hill towards Woodmansterne - much nicer.

andym

Über Member
jay clock said:
Tottenham Ct Rd is one way the wrong way. From euston, come out onto Euston rd , then turn right down Upper Woburn Place. This changes names several times but hits the Aldwych after 1.5 miles. Go round that, then cross over Waterloo Bridge.... It will be busy, but tons of cyclists around. Take it easy, ask some other cyclists for help

(just elaborating on Jay's directions). Aldwych is also one way so you need to go left and then right onto the Strand then left onto Waterloo Bridge (look at multimap if that doesn't make sense). Alternatively it would probably be as quick to walk the 'wrong' way down Aldwych.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Thanks for all this information guys. I've 7 weeks to go before trip so will be assessing it all out in near future.
I loaded my panniers with books today and had a ride around the busiest streets of Glasgow city centre just to get a feel of being in traffic. Manic but in my own warped way I enjoyed it. I suppose 40 years of driving gives me a bit of road sense. Thanks again, hope I can return the favours some day. Ron.

rich p said:
If you do end up riding from Lewes to Newhaven, don't take the A26. It's full of lorries from the port and industrial estates, and refuse trucks from the landfill site. There is a much nicer route from Lewes through Southover, Iford, Rodmell, Piddinghoe. Look it up on the map, it'll be worth it. It runs almost parallel to the A26.

I lived in Lewes in the '80s and this particular route (via Rodmell and Piddinghoe) was a perennial favourite to get to the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry for some touring in Normandy.

In 2005 Mrs BTP and I returned with our bikes for a few weeks touring from London to the Loire. So took this route again, but I was horrified at the amount of traffic and, being a relatively narrow road, the amount of close-call overtaking that went on. We feared for our lives on that road. Maybe years of living in Perth has made me forget how busy and narrow UK roads are!

Interestingly, I emailed the local bike advocacy group in that part of Sussex, and they said that they no longer recommended it for cycling - suggested going via Brighton instead.

Cheers

Top Bottom