Euston to Newhaven, route help appreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

ronmac

dellzeqq said:
I think that would be a mistake. East Grinstead to Newhaven is tough going on a laden bike, and you have a lot more map reading to do if you take the Horsted Keynes route.

Dellzeqq. Many thanks for the info. I'll have a look at the Horsley option. Turner's Hill looks closer to East Grinstead than Horley on the road map. But I know you know what you're talking about. Thanks also for the offer of accompanying me Euston to Newhaven. I've decided I want to enjoy this trip so that's why I'm taking the easier option of getting a train to south of London. I reason that the 25 to 30 miles I save from not doing the perhaps stressful cycling through London suburbs with full load will mean I'll be fresh to tackle the 35 or so miles to Newhaven. Still if you want to come along you're most welcome to meet me at Euston and we'll to another station for train south to Horley or East Grinstead and cycle the rest. I arrive in Euston on a Wednesday morning. Thanks again. Ron.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
ronmac;630130][quote=dellzeqq said:
Dellzeqq. Many thanks for the info. I'll have a look at the Horsley option. Turner's Hill looks closer to East Grinstead than Horley on the road map. .

you're right - it is. I'd thought that if you went to East Grinstead you'd take the Horsted Keynes route, which is tough going with a load. You can ride west from East Grinstead (wtf happened to West Grinstead?) but (in my view) it's a crappy ride, as opposed to a smoother job from Horley. But the difference isn't that great.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Dellzeq, Although I'd never heard of it, I do think it was the Horsted-Keynes route I'd've mainly followed (I'm only using a road map). But now I'll take your advice and cycle from East Grinstead to Turners Hill and follow your directions from there, so many thanks. I'm looking forward to this part of the trip as I've been doing 50 and 60 mile training rides, with weight, so 35 miles should be quite enjoyable, and I've got all day to do it. (I'm camping in Newhaven and getting ferry next morning). Cheers. Ron.

mcr

Veteran
snorri said:
Could be dangerous, the sleeper doesn't stop at Watford.:becool:

It did when I last took it (in 2007), 'cos I got out there.

In fact, checking the current timetable it still does on the Edinburgh/Glasgow trains (for some reason only northbound on the others :becool: )

OP
OP
R

ronmac

mcr said:
It did when I last took it (in 2007), 'cos I got out there.

In fact, checking the current timetable it still does on the Edinburgh/Glasgow trains (for some reason only northbound on the others :smile: )

You're dead right mcr. It does stop at Watford. I considered it but understand I would have to hang around at Watford for about 3 hours due to the rule banning bicycles on trains going into London after 7:00a.m. The train would probably be quite busy too for taking a fully loaded bicycle on. I'm actually looking forward to trying to get from Euston to Victoria now. If I've any problems cycling I can become an instant pedestrian !

Top Bottom