EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
I couldn't find an EV owners thread, so I thought I'd start one!

Just taken delivery of my VW ID4. I'm very pleased with it so far although still learning some of the functionality.
Quick question for people - is it worth getting an EV to 240v socket lead? Does anyone use one? They seem to cost about £200 which is the main thing putting me off!

I know when I visit the in laws or my mother that I'll have to get charge from somewhere but I'[m thinking half an hour at a fast charger might be easier than plugging in to a shed or garage socket...

D

Deleted member 26715

With the jump in energy rates would your in-laws or mother be happy allowing you to charge overnight, depending on which battery 55-88kWh & how much you intend to put in, it could cost them £15-25, a 40 minute trip to a supermarket might be in order, assuming there is a local one.

Mine came with one and it's been used a few times on trips away and before we got a charger.

If you're staying somewhere like a cottage it'd mean you could charge overnight without a charging point.

With the jump in energy rates would your in-laws or mother be happy allowing you to charge overnight, depending on which battery 55-88kWh & how much you intend to put in, it could cost them £15-25, a 40 minute trip to a supermarket might be in order, assuming there is a local one.

It would take days to fill an 88kwh battery. When I've filled up at relatives I've made sure to give them more than the cost of the electric as it's saved me time and cash going to a charger. Simple all round.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have MINI Electric and another on order. Mine came with the 240v ‘granny’ charger which I used exclusively at home until I got my home charger fitted. After that I used it at work until they installed EV chargers. Now it never gets used but is a good emergency option.

CXRAndy

Guru
Most EVs come with a 240V plug in charger to give around 6-8 miles per hour charging from standard plug outlet.

If you're visiting for the day and don't have enough range to get home without charging, but trickle charging would give you that, I'd plug in.

I also bought a 75ft lead for when a socket is located further away from a drive. I even hung my lead out of a 4 star hotel first floor window into a private car park to charge.:biggrin:

If you visit relatives on a regular basis, weekly example. I'd pay to have 7kW charger installed there too.

CXRAndy

Guru
I couldn't find an EV owners thread, so I thought I'd start one!

Just taken delivery of my VW ID4. I'm very pleased with it so far although still learning some of the functionality.
Quick question for people - is it worth getting an EV to 240v socket lead? Does anyone use one? They seem to cost about £200 which is the main thing putting me off!

I know when I visit the in laws or my mother that I'll have to get charge from somewhere but I'[m thinking half an hour at a fast charger might be easier than plugging in to a shed or garage socket...

Glad you like it. My friends who are petrol heads, swore blind never getting an electric car, are taking delivery of their first EV BMW i4. :rolleyes:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Saw a 72 plate BMW IX today, the driver must have been it's mother as no other sane person would have bought it, there are fugly cars & that one is damn fugly.

Ugly and expensive! From £77,000!

I'm speechless.

D

Deleted member 26715

Ugly and expensive! From £77,000!

I'm speechless.
Agreed & shopping in Aldi, didn't see them pull in but I can see it getting scratched easily, I had to put my fingers around my door to squeeze into out car, others I'm sure wouldn't have been so kind to them.

I was staggered when I looked on BMW site at the cost, had cream leather seats, sorry but it just looked xx(

Hebe

getting better all the time
Leased electric Mini here. We used the 'granny' cable until our solar and ev charger were installed this week. It only really gets charged at home because we use a hybrid for longer journeys.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Most EVs come with a 240V plug in charger to give around 6-8 miles per hour charging from standard plug outlet.
If you're visiting for the day and don't have enough range to get home without charging, but trickle charging would give you that, I'd plug in.
The ID4 did not come with a 240V plug in charger sadly :-(
Just debating whether to buy one. Cheapest I have found so far is £149 for a 7m cable.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Glad you like it. My friends who are petrol heads, swore blind never getting an electric car, are taking delivery of their first EV BMW i4. :rolleyes:

Well at least it's an EV. So far I mostly like it. It drives well. It's definitely wider than my scenic which is giving me some anxiety going into car parks where it obligingly starts pinging like a maniac and showing me how close to things I am (not very as far as I can see).

Loving the dynamic mood lighting and panoramic roof. Audio and map system seems to be good. I'd really like a "follow" system like the Tesla has, and I'm annoyed that a motorised tailgate is regarded as a premium feature only fit for the highest specced car. I have tried talking to the ID but it's *very* slow and often misunderstands.

"Hello ID - warm my seat".
"Okay. Warming your feet"

Or worse
"Hello ID - play BBC 6Music"
"I don't understand. I can't find that station".

Range seems to be good and driving it is lovely. Upholstery is good but again any electric components of the front seats are premium only features.
The kids love it - part of this may just be the fun of driving in a car that's up to date instead of 10 years old. The lane keeping seems to work well, and I like the use of the dynamic LED lighting to assist with the sat nav.

All in all - happy so far...

CXRAndy

Guru
I presume when you say 'follow' you mean adaptive cruise control?

This is probably the best feature on any car I've driven. I use everywhere.

Motorways is the obvious one, but it's great in town and stop start traffic.

The car pulls up in traffic, then automatically moves when the traffic Infront does. Really takes all the stress and anxiety out of stop start driving. Just let the car do it's thing

byegad

Legendary Member
I presume when you say 'follow' you mean adaptive cruise control?

This is probably the best feature on any car I've driven. I use everywhere.

Motorways is the obvious one, but it's great in town and stop start traffic.

The car pulls up in traffic, then automatically moves when the traffic Infront does. Really takes all the stress and anxiety out of stop start driving. Just let the car do it's thing

Totally agree. I switch mine on as I roll down the close, I turn out of the estate, run 150yds, then round the roundabout and engage at 30mph. Depending on where we are going I only touch the throttle to pull away after a stop, my adaptive needs a nudge to restart, and in an emergency. The self stop in heavy traffic is a boon!

Last edited:
Top Bottom