EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

The ID gracefully slows to 30 so that it hits 30 at the 30 sign and then only speeds up to 40 when past the 40 sign. It's what people *should* be doing, but I did get beeped!
Without trying to be disingenuous but if this bothers you that you are upset by other because you are following the rules then maybe driving isn't for you, if more people followed the rules driving would be a much more enjoyable process than it currently is.

However I must admit a lot of the blame lies with the councils & road authority for very poor signage, people are often looking for signage to see which way to turn, they are also preoccupied with traffic on the roundabout to see 30mph sign 50 metres from the roundabout.

CXRAndy

Guru
I normally set cruise 3-5mph above speed limit, so I keep pace with most cars, but don't exceed limit to concern me with cameras

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Without trying to be disingenuous but if this bothers you that you are upset by other because you are following the rules then maybe driving isn't for you, if more people followed the rules driving would be a much more enjoyable process than it currently is.

I'm not upset about following the rules. The point is that "the rules" depend on other people also following them. If you differ from the norm, you become something unexpected which therefore increases risk. To a degree we all break the rules - we all tend to follow the lead of the cars in front.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Another question for the more experienced EV owners...

Do you use D and B (regenerative braking) mode, if so when? Currently I'm finding that as I mostly drive in slow traffic, B mode is the way to go. D mode tends to feel a little uncontrollable and there seems to be none of the drop off in speed when coasting that you get in an ICE car.

I'm presuming that D mode is better if you are motorway driving (although I'd probably use the ACC on the motorway)?

I've used D for a few years on my leaf and rarely need to use the brake pedal. But I guess it's different levels between different cars.

figbat

Slippery scientist
In the MINI the default is for high regen braking - you can select a softer mode which more replicates typical ICE engine braking. I always use full regen and mostly one pedal driving; it's one of the perks of driving an EV and although it takes a little getting used to, it soon becomes second nature.

CXRAndy

Guru
I like heavy regen braking, so normally have the Leaf set on B mode. I find it rather a surprise when I drive in a ICE car, how long it takes for speed to come down-dont like it

no wonder why ICE vehicles need brakes so often. Notched up over 150,000 miles in EVs now, no brakes needed, very little sign of wear

byegad

Legendary Member
Not all IC drivers use their brakes a lot. I had a FIAT Panda, bought new and at 65000 miles was told it would soon need new brake pads/linings. On hearing the price I said; 'That seems a lot!' the guy behind the counter asked how much I'd paid "last time". As they were on the car when I bought it I couldn't say and I know he didn't believe me, but they really hadn't been changed from new.

CXRAndy

Guru
You answered with the knowledge of the mechanic, through experience knew pads/rotors should have needed changing before. Im not disputing the odd ICE will get excellent miles before brakes need replacing, but its not the norm. All the cars I've owned never has a car gone beyond 35000 miles before front pads and rotors needed changing. lowest was 20000 miles big old heavy SUV

general rule, EVs with 50000 miles have almost brand new pads and rotors.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Not all IC drivers use their brakes a lot. I had a FIAT Panda, bought new and at 65000 miles was told it would soon need new brake pads/linings. On hearing the price I said; 'That seems a lot!' the guy behind the counter asked how much I'd paid "last time". As they were on the car when I bought it I couldn't say and I know he didn't believe me, but they really hadn't been changed from new.

Yeah I'm a very light driver too. My ICE car has 30% wear in 20,000 miles.

Wrt regen brakes: yeah, best thing ever on e-cars. I have that on all the time (I'm a town driver).

I think there were a few Tesla owners here: the services required is rather infrequent isn't it? On e-cars from other companies, they still want you at the dealers annually. Jokers.

CXRAndy

Guru
Yeah I'm a very light driver too. My ICE car has 30% wear in 20,000 miles.

Wrt regen brakes: yeah, best thing ever on e-cars. I have that on all the time (I'm a town driver).

I think there were a few Tesla owners here: the services required is rather infrequent isn't it? On e-cars from other companies, they still want you at the dealers annually. Jokers.

I just do bi -annually major for the Leaf. They literally kick the tyres on the minor service. I'm not playing those games with dealers anymore.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Well, I had my first longer distance drive in the ID4 yesterday going from Surrey to Leamington Spa (92 miles). I started from 100% charge and was at 59% by the time I pulled into the car park at the hotel venue we were using for the meeting. Happily - the hotel had free EV chargers. Only 7kw but more than enough over the course of the day to get me back up to 80% (car car mode stopped charging at 80% rather than taking me back up to the hundred). A Tesla 3 had joined me by the end of the day but there were still two available charging points. Got back to Suirrey with 39% left - more than enough.

As for the drive itself, the weather was horrible both ways but with the Advanced Cruise Control doing the heavy lifting of braking, accelerating and keeping the car in lane, it was probably the easiest drive in bad weather that I have ever had. It's a really confident drive, you really feel that the car can start and stop like a ballet dancer. Lights, seat heating etc probably didn't help with battery life, but there was never a point where I needed to worry about "range".

So 10/10 for long(er) distance in bad weather!!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Questions for you people with EVs:

1) Anyone got vehicle to grid (V2G) capability? Seems to me this is critical for societal benefit for EVs and also likely very lucrative, but as far as I can ascertain, only available as part of a small trial to date?

2) Any complications with a solar installation I should be aware of? Don't have solar now, but would probably get it if we buy an EV.

Top Bottom