EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Questions for you people with EVs:

1) Anyone got vehicle to grid (V2G) capability? Seems to me this is critical for societal benefit for EVs and also likely very lucrative, but as far as I can ascertain, only available as part of a small trial to date?

2) Any complications with a solar installation I should be aware of? Don't have solar now, but would probably get it if we buy an EV.

I've got a Nissan Leaf, which has VTG or VTH. Nissan USA, announced just last month that they were partnering up with a company to offer VTG.

Several European companies have had tiny pilot schemes but failed to bring it to market -yet.

I await, but not for long, because I will just install a dedicated battery backup

CXRAndy

Guru
I didn't think lights and seat heaters affected the battery range.

It doesn't do much maybe 10-15 mile range loss from full charge. Varies from car to car. Model 3/Y have a very clever heat scavenging system from the heat energy from the battery and motors, reducing actual electric demand

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I've got a Nissan Leaf, which has VTG or VTH. Nissan USA, announced just last month that they were partnering up with a company to offer VTG.

Several European companies have had tiny pilot schemes but failed to bring it to market -yet.

I await, but not for long, because I will just install a dedicated battery backup

So, nothing available yet?

Seems absolutely crazy given the amount of solar going in, the lack of storage and the overall energy crisis.

Would pay for itself in about a week!

(Seriously, if you charged up say 30kwhr of battery each day at low demand price and discharged at high demand price, what would you get back? Maybe £5-10 a day or something??)

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
It doesn't do much maybe 10-15 mile range loss from full charge. Varies from car to car. Model 3/Y have a very clever heat scavenging system from the heat energy from the battery and motors, reducing actual electric demand

I was thinking also of rain / coldness / increased friction - just that general thing whereby EVs don't go quite as far on cold horrible days as compared with nice sunny days.

Overall I feel that this car is a MASSIVE step up from the old Renault Scenic.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Will the current low emission ICEs also be subject to non-zero VED too?

D

Deleted member 26715

Surely it must if the EV exemption is coming to an end ?
It should I know people who live in remote areas will complain but it really ought to be based on mileage, initially my thought process was just remove the VED on cars & add it to the price of fuel, if you use a lot of fuel you pay a lot of VED/Tax, if you do very little you pay very little.

But now with the onset of EV this doesn't work as how can you work out where the electricity comes from, logically if it comes from the owners own PV panels there should not be any extra charge, if it comes from the normal home supply I suppose you could add a levy for each EV at the property, but then again whose to say that particular electron didn't go to the oven & not the car battery, it gets very muddled.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It should I know people who live in remote areas will complain but it really ought to be based on mileage, initially my thought process was just remove the VED on cars & add it to the price of fuel, if you use a lot of fuel you pay a lot of VED/Tax, if you do very little you pay very little.

But now with the onset of EV this doesn't work as how can you work out where the electricity comes from, logically if it comes from the owners own PV panels there should not be any extra charge, if it comes from the normal home supply I suppose you could add a levy for each EV at the property, but then again whose to say that particular electron didn't go to the oven & not the car battery, it gets very muddled.

Paying by mile is fraught with problems - who should pay more or less? The driver with an additional 3 occupants in a Mini or the solo driver in a full sized Range Rover?

Top Bottom