EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Totally agree. I switch mine on as I roll down the close, I turn out of the estate, run 150yds, then round the roundabout and engage at 30mph. Depending on where we are going I only touch the throttle to pull away after a stop, my adaptive needs a nudge to restart, and in an emergency. The self stop in heavy traffic is a boon!

Sadly I don't think the ID4 can do it currently :-(

CXRAndy

Guru
Sadly I don't think the ID4 can do it currently :-(

Reading up the ID4 VW seems to have adaptive cruise control. Unless this is an option upon purchase.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Reading up the ID4 VW seems to have adaptive cruise control. Unless this is an option upon purchase.

It does indeed have adaptive cruise control and having looked it up online, it looks good. Like much of the ID4 it isn't as intuitive as it could be and the online manual is pretty poor. They have a lot to learn from Tesla.

So far my most disliked feature is the positioning of a touch switch by the window controls on the driver door that allows you to select "REAR" to open and close rear windows.

Of course every time you reach for the drivers window switch you accidentally touch "REAR" and open the rear passenger window. Then you scrabble around to close that window, unpress the "REAR" button to open the drivers window whilst you get honked at be people wondering why you aren't going into the car park...!

I'm going to have a play shortly... !

CXRAndy

Guru
That was the early complaint with ID3/4, was the user interface were overly complicated and the touch feature buttons. Driving, range etc like the rest of current Evs

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
That was the early complaint with ID3/4, was the user interface were overly complicated and the touch feature buttons. Driving, range etc like the rest of current Evs

Tried out the ACC. LIke it. It can be a bit gung ho at times and it doesn't disengage at roundabouts or junctions. If the traffic is very slow, you have to keep pressing a resume button on the steering wheel which is a little annoying.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Do those fast chargers wear out the batteries quicker? I use a slow charger but I'm planning to keep the cars for a long time unless something radical comes up technology wise.

CXRAndy

Guru
Do those fast chargers wear out the batteries quicker? I use a slow charger but I'm planning to keep the cars for a long time unless something radical comes up technology wise.

If you rapid charge-50kWatts or more, then battery will degrade more quickly.

I have friend who almost exclusively supercharged his Model X. The range did get less about 10%. He then moved got himself a 7kW charger and now his battery range has returned back to almost standard. Try your best to charge to 80% maximum most of the time and keep it above 20% if you can. Supercharge rarely. That is what we do apart from long trips where we still only go up to 90% maximum

mustang1

Legendary Member
If you rapid charge-50kWatts or more, then battery will degrade more quickly.

I have friend who almost exclusively supercharged his Model X. The range did get less about 10%. He then moved got himself a 7kW charger and now his battery range has returned back to almost standard. Try your best to charge to 80% maximum most of the time and keep it above 20% if you can. Supercharge rarely. That is what we do apart from long trips where we still only go up to 90% maximum

I usually start charging between 20-30% and charge fully. (Same with the e-bike too).

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Looks like the ID4 has a battery care mode. It seems to charge to 100% but then the next charge will only be to 80%. I was doing a bit of a test this week. Charged to 80% on Thursday and that has lasted to today (Tuesday) and that's with making more journeys than usual. Battery was on 14% when I hooked it up. I have noticed that the car does use battery whilst parked.

I also spotted that with the Zappi in ECO mode it only charges at about 1.4kwh unless there is surplus electricity generation (if you have solar) , or if you don't have solar but do have an EV Tariff, you can use ECO plus a scheduled boost so the bulk of your charging is during the cheapest time.

CXRAndy

Guru
As long as your vehicle has some form of battery strategy. Our Nissan Leaf 62kW doesn't seem to obviously have a limit control. This is our workhorse car, does the most miles each day, we will run this car into the ground.

CXRAndy

Guru
Tried out the ACC. LIke it. It can be a bit gung ho at times and it doesn't disengage at roundabouts or junctions. If the traffic is very slow, you have to keep pressing a resume button on the steering wheel which is a little annoying.

That is standard practice for any autocruise. Even my Tesla wont disengage ACC at roundabouts. It will however come to a stop when the vehicle in front pulls up at the junction.

Does your ID actively slow down for sharper bends on ACC? Our Tesla does, the Leaf doesnt

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
That is standard practice for any autocruise. Even my Tesla wont disengage ACC at roundabouts. It will however come to a stop when the vehicle in front pulls up at the junction.

Does your ID actively slow down for sharper bends on ACC? Our Tesla does, the Leaf doesnt

Yes, it slows down quite nicely and pops up an info box to tell me what speed it is slowing to. It can be a bit jerky when stopping and starting in slow traffic, and if you are stationary for more than 10 seconds it disengages entirely - you have to hit a button to resume. Obviously it follows the rules of the road which is sometimes confusing for other drivers - for example near me there is a 40mph road which has a very short 30mph stretch at a sort of roundabout (it's not marked as a roundabout but kind of has a similar function) and then goes back to 40mph. Most drivers don't slow or only slow to 35. The ID gracefully slows to 30 so that it hits 30 at the 30 sign and then only speeds up to 40 when past the 40 sign. It's what people *should* be doing, but I did get beeped!

Top Bottom