EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Paying by mile is fraught with problems - who should pay more or less? The driver with an additional 3 occupants in a Mini or the solo driver in a full sized Range Rover?
Agreed, but by the same token as sales rep who does 60K a year shouldn't only be paying £20 a year, when my kitcar which only does about 1500 costs £295

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Agreed, but by the same token as sales rep who does 60K a year shouldn't only be paying £20 a year, when my kitcar which only does about 1500 costs £295

I wouldn't disagree with you - it is a real can of worms.

A bit like Poll Tax which seemed fair to me but some citizens went into meltdown.

It's that sort of issue imo.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I guess some form of tax was inevitable as the revenue from fuel duty declined. I can’t imagine VED generates that much but fuel tax must be 10s of billions. I think the debate on how this is passed on to EVs after 2030 is just starting.

Why? not all Audi drivers are the same, just like not all cyclists jump red lights

Pretty much every bad incident I've had with cars this year have been with Audis.

No idea what's up with their drivers but they're by far the worst in my experience.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Will the current low emission ICEs also be subject to non-zero VED too?

Interesting point. My Euro6 diesel car is currently £0 VED, so, that would imply an EV would cost more vehicle tax, which seems rather bizarre.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I have to confess that I had never heard of the Expensive Car Tax.

+£40000 car - £355 for years 2 to 6 of ownership.

BBC News - Electric car drivers must pay tax from 2025
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63660321

Complete muppets. The average price of an EV at the moment is £44k. The "expensive car supplement" is at completely the wrong price point..
Luckily my VED will be included in the terms of the lease I think.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Probably another topic but I am discovering some real variance in charge points.

Business meeting at lovely hotel in Warwick - free charging at 7k, no problems.
Shopping in Staines, lots of EV spaces made it easy to park. Charger didn't work properly.
Shopping in Kingston, charger in Bentalls is a 3 pin plug. Still I got about 10 miles back, and an opportunity to test my new granny cable...

Teslas are the Audis. My BIL is in the car insurance business, and your diesel 'rep' Audi nobber boy has moved on from the Audi's.:stop:

I'd charge extra Tax on Teslas just because the the 'boss' is a nob of the greatest order. Watch me get banned from twitter ! :crazy:

Ha - my BIL says exactly the same. I've not had a problem with Teslas yet - but the Audis...

CXRAndy

Guru
Not totally applicable to EVs. Don't leave your removable towbar on your car for a year. We've been using it periodically over the year, so got lazy in taking it off Inbetween.

So first problem, randomly the car would say the trailer is connected when it wasn't. This appeared after the heavy rains we had.

Awkward investigation once disassembled revealed the recessed trailer socket full of water 💦.

I used an airline to blow out the water. But it kept coming. In the end I had to completely disassemble the socket. It's a two piece part where the wires are on a connector that clips into a cup shape with all the pinouts located. This is where the water was collected and shorting the plug pins. I thoroughly airline dried the assembly. Blathered it in di electric grease, so no water could ingress into the connections from the top or sit in this recessed cup.

Drilled some strategic holes in the casing where water could collect. This should let it drain if it ever gets water again

20221221_153424.jpg

Then after a couple of hours of this, thought it better to remove the towbar- it was seized in place. Liberal doses of WD40 and airline to force it down the locking key slot. Eventually it came lose, so the key would turn.

Hooray. 4 hours of time spent when 2 mins removing towbar would have done fine :laugh:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not totally applicable to EVs. Don't leave your removable towbar on your car for a year. We've been using it periodically over the year, so got lazy in taking it off Inbetween.

So first problem, randomly the car would say the trailer is connected when it wasn't. This appeared after the heavy rains we had.

Awkward investigation once disassembled revealed the recessed trailer socket full of water 💦.

I used an airline to blow out the water. But it kept coming. In the end I had to completely disassemble the socket. It's a two piece part where the wires are on a connector that clips into a cup shape with all the pinouts located. This is where the water was collected and shorting the plug pins. I thoroughly airline dried the assembly. Blathered it in di electric grease, so no water could ingress into the connections from the top or sit in this recessed cup.

Drilled some strategic holes in the casing where water could collect. This should let it drain if it ever gets water again

View attachment 671887

Then after a couple of hours of this, thought it better to remove the towbar- it was seized in place. Liberal doses of WD40 and airline to force it down the locking key slot. Eventually it came lose, so the key would turn.

Hooray. 4 hours of time spent when 2 mins removing towbar would have done fine :laugh:

At least you fixed it. My son's mate had issues with his Seat, except he never had a tow bar fitted, but the FR model has the wiring loom and it got damp.

Top Bottom