EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
Had really wanted a second hand Mercedes GLE350 (I fancied the three litre diesel rather than the 2.1) it just seemed to be that the exact spec I wanted was out of reach, for various reasons. The GLC was next on the list (again second-hand), where it would appear the bigger engine models are to be avoided due to the 'crabbing issue'. Both really nice looking cars (imho) but then I noticed the EQC range and started looking at them on the internet.

Popped up to F*rds of Winsford who initially had sold the one I wanted to look at (my fault, should have checked before I left) then couldn't find the other one that was supposed to be there. No matter, they got another one in and we arranged to go and try it the following weekend. This turned out to be a massive mistake and waste of time/fuel, as the salesman was clueless about them and tried to put me off buying one. This intensified when he realised I didn't want his mega money PCP scheme, so we were fed probably half an hour of lies/nonsense/very hard sell from him and his manager. Had a test drive, loved the car but cannot forgive hard sellers and pushy people (they were honestly awful, clearly just wanted finance commission) so looked round on the internet and found this...

Mercedes EQC400.jpg

It's a better spec than the FoW one ('Premium', as opposed to AMG) and first impressions are very favourable. It's blooming lovely inside, seems to drive beautifully and has a great spec. Haven't got a charger at home (I know, I know) but we go into town two or three times a week so thought I'd charge at one of the shopping car parks.

So far (one attempt) it didn't go well: two or three of the chargers (they have loads) didn't work, the internet access was patchy (which effectively ruled out using the app) and then the charge was so slow. It'd do if you were desperate for a few miles of charge, but it was estimating something like 7 or 8 hours to full charge from about 30%. You've obviously got the parking fees on top of that, so to me it didn't really make much sense unless parking there anyway.

Yesterday I tried a super fast charger up the road. Bit fiddly to work, but I rang the company and they were very helpful. The lady estimated 40 minutes from 35 mile range showing to full, so parked up (they have cameras) locked it up and went for a long walk with the dog. It took 72 minutes to 98% in the end, my son says they are a slower rate up to something like 40% charge, then ramp up until they hit 80% and then slow down again. It would seem it's best to charge them to 80% and then do it again when it hits about 40%, I think.

Not going to be massively inconvenient as we don't go especially far (except for holiday once or twice a year, and a couple of trips to London) so hopefully it'll work out for us.

Obviously some of the haters have been at it 'It'll catch on fire/not a proper car/trains full of lithium juice are exploding every day/yadda yadda yadda' but I bought it because I like it.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Had really wanted a second hand Mercedes GLE350 (I fancied the three litre diesel rather than the 2.1) it just seemed to be that the exact spec I wanted was out of reach, for various reasons. The GLC was next on the list (again second-hand), where it would appear the bigger engine models are to be avoided due to the 'crabbing issue'. Both really nice looking cars (imho) but then I noticed the EQC range and started looking at them on the internet.

Popped up to F*rds of Winsford who initially had sold the one I wanted to look at (my fault, should have checked before I left) then couldn't find the other one that was supposed to be there. No matter, they got another one in and we arranged to go and try it the following weekend. This turned out to be a massive mistake and waste of time/fuel, as the salesman was clueless about them and tried to put me off buying one. This intensified when he realised I didn't want his mega money PCP scheme, so we were fed probably half an hour of lies/nonsense/very hard sell from him and his manager. Had a test drive, loved the car but cannot forgive hard sellers and pushy people (they were honestly awful, clearly just wanted finance commission) so looked round on the internet and found this...

View attachment 724745

It's a better spec than the FoW one ('Premium', as opposed to AMG) and first impressions are very favourable. It's blooming lovely inside, seems to drive beautifully and has a great spec. Haven't got a charger at home (I know, I know) but we go into town two or three times a week so thought I'd charge at one of the shopping car parks.

So far (one attempt) it didn't go well: two or three of the chargers (they have loads) didn't work, the internet access was patchy (which effectively ruled out using the app) and then the charge was so slow. It'd do if you were desperate for a few miles of charge, but it was estimating something like 7 or 8 hours to full charge from about 30%. You've obviously got the parking fees on top of that, so to me it didn't really make much sense unless parking there anyway.

Yesterday I tried a super fast charger up the road. Bit fiddly to work, but I rang the company and they were very helpful. The lady estimated 40 minutes from 35 mile range showing to full, so parked up (they have cameras) locked it up and went for a long walk with the dog. It took 72 minutes to 98% in the end, my son says they are a slower rate up to something like 40% charge, then ramp up until they hit 80% and then slow down again. It would seem it's best to charge them to 80% and then do it again when it hits about 40%, I think.

Not going to be massively inconvenient as we don't go especially far (except for holiday once or twice a year, and a couple of trips to London) so hopefully it'll work out for us.

Obviously some of the haters have been at it 'It'll catch on fire/not a proper car/trains full of lithium juice are exploding every day/yadda yadda yadda' but I bought it because I like it.

We have one , we charge at home . It’s lovely inside , very comfy and nice place to sit when driving . Squeeky brakes only downside . Range not brilliant compared to others but it truely isn’t a huge issue unless you drive for living !

Buck

Guru
Best mate has one in silver. It’s 4 year old in June and being replaced but he has enjoyed it and it’s a nice place to be.

As mentioned, only down side is the range but he’s learned to manage that when on (rare) longer trips.

Cavalol

Guru
Did our first trip in it yesterday, only about 55-60 miles round trip. The dash showed it's used something like 72 miles of charge, the majority of that (extra) will be because we were on the motorway for most of it. Regenerative braking helps the consumption, so town use is actually really good, it seems.

It's got adaptive cruise control which at first was brilliant, it recognises not only if you're too close to the car in front but also speed limits so slows the car down as you go from 50 to 40 say. This seems ideal if you're in an unfamiliar area and worried about speed limits/speed cameras. On the way home, though, it started slowing down on sharper corners on the motorway (no doubt some safety thing) and then didn't slow down from a 60 to a 50 and a 40 to a 30.

Struggling to get a voice to the sat nav (the live front view from the car was ace, but went off back to the sat nav main screen) and one or two other things, but I've not tried too hard to look just yet.

The power seems effortless, it pulls beautifully and it's so fast. Even my wife is impressed, and she's not a car person.

mustang1

Guru
Son has received his model Y today. He took me and a friend to the restaurant .

There is so much more space on the rear seats compared to a model 3.

View attachment 719731

Yeah more space all over the place. Rear seats seem higher up giving more leg support and in front front, steering wheel seems to be further away from leg when getting in and out.

I found the ride to be quite hard though even on standard 18 inch wheels.

potsy

Rambler
Just watching one of my colleague's brand new VW id4 be loaded onto the tow truck to be taken away for repair.
It was only delivered this morning :laugh:

He's been waiting over 6 months for this car, I foresee a bad mood in the office later!

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Those are more useful when you just want a bit of a top up and are shopping for several hours.
Yesterday I tried a super fast charger up the road. Bit fiddly to work, but I rang the company and they were very helpful. The lady estimated 40 minutes from 35 mile range showing to full, so parked up (they have cameras) locked it up and went for a long walk with the dog. It took 72 minutes to 98% in the end, my son says they are a slower rate up to something like 40% charge, then ramp up until they hit 80% and then slow down again. It would seem it's best to charge them to 80% and then do it again when it hits about 40%,
He's spot on. You probably got to around 80% after about 30 to 40 minutes. The rest will be slowly topping up to 98%.

Even then, it's about planning. There are some great supercharger stops out there. I favour somewhere you can stop and have a meal.

If you are on Octopus have a look at their Electroverse card - at a lot of chargers it's easier than an app and gives you a discount rate with the cost being added to your electricity bill.

Ideally a home charger is going to get you the cheapest refuelling. Intelligent Octopus is currently 7.5p per PWH.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
It's got adaptive cruise control which at first was brilliant, it recognises not only if you're too close to the car in front but also speed limits so slows the car down as you go from 50 to 40 say. This seems ideal if you're in an unfamiliar area and worried about speed limits/speed cameras. On the way home, though, it started slowing down on sharper corners on the motorway (no doubt some safety thing) and then didn't slow down from a 60 to a 50 and a 40 to a 30.
If it's anything like the ID4, it could also be relying on GPS and not having the intelligence to realise you haven't magically flown 20m to the left thus crashing the speed down to whatever local A road is to the left of the motorway. The A3 into London is the worst for this on the ID4. Every flyover it assumes you are on a different road.

chris-suffolk

I'm guessing we will all get forced down this route eventually, but with insurance costs typically being double the equivalent petrol/diesel and my mileage not being many each year, it just wouldn't make sense for me, and I guess many others.

Cavalol

Guru
I'm guessing we will all get forced down this route eventually, but with insurance costs typically being double the equivalent petrol/diesel and my mileage not being many each year, it just wouldn't make sense for me, and I guess many others.

It's hard to call because like-for-like, they're obviously two completely different cars, but an A35 AMG was about £900 a year and the EQC was about £700.

markemark

Über Member
My insurance went down. My fuel costs are negligible on the edf ev tariff and car tax now zero. I got servicing thrown in as it’s so cheap. I have a battery warranty longer than I’ll own the car and never have to worry about oil, exhaust, gearbox, clutch, radiator costs as my car doesn’t have them.

CXRAndy

Guru
Not for long.

We've had 5-6 years of zero VED on several EVs .

Plus £5k additional government discounts on new purchases

We must have saved several thousand pounds pounds over that period .

I know we will have to pay from next year. We have made some huge savings being an early adopter-ish

Top Bottom