EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
IParked in an underground carpark in Paris once three spaces down there was a hummer. Its roof only just below the ceiling and it was parked with the wheels on the outside of the lines marking the carparking space. Literally door to door with the car next to it. The only way out was through the boot!

What a plonker getting that for the city!

Weight of a h2 is 2903kg, weight of a hummer eV is 4500kg BTW.

Also, what weight is the ev equivalent to the BMW x5 and volvo xc90? Compare like for like might be useful if you mention those ICE car weights.

BMW ix is 2585kg curb weight or 3145kg max weight. It is kind of between x3 and x5. Narrower than x5 but closer to x5 in other dimensions. A little heavier. 4% heavier or 26% heavier using max weight. It depends whether your weights are max or curb weights.

Volvo ex90 is 2818kg from what I've just found out. Also heavier, but not much heavier. 22% heavier.

So EV direct equivalents to ICE cars could be a low 4% heavier or in the 20% heavier weight range. Or if you want a hummer it's 55% heavier in ev version!

Some of these are getting near the limit for some newer driving licences!

I guess I'm a few years away from affording an ev from a decent brand secondhand that is. Not sure I want to consider a car from SAIC Chinese brand. I think I would want one if you could get a reliable secondhand one from a European or Japanese brand for my typical secondhand car price point. One that's actually worth getting and isn't going to result in a battery at the end of its practical life.

Some of these are getting near the limit for some newer driving licences!

That's an interesting point. I wonder what will happen about that. Will police do spot checks on younger drivers in certain heavier models in case they are over the weight limit?

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I guess I'm a few years away from affording an ev from a decent brand secondhand that is. Not sure I want to consider a car from SAIC Chinese brand. I think I would want one if you could get a reliable secondhand one from a European or Japanese brand for my typical secondhand car price point. One that's actually worth getting and isn't going to result in a battery at the end of its practical life.
I would guess the second hand market will start to flood in 2026/2027. That's when a large number of leases will start to finish for companies taking advantage of the 0% BIK and the delays caused by the Ukraine conflict with Russia. There will be a fair number of cars from all the main brands with around 40,000 to 60,000 miles on the clock that are 3 to 4 years old.

mustang1

Guru
Compared to most other EVs and ICE vehicles the Tesla is a high performance car.

I think their slowest car is around 5 secs to 60mph. Long range AWD/performance are low 4 to low 3 0-60mph

No one bothers racing a Tesla. Not that I'm condoning it and I've never seen a Tesla driven fast but at the traffic lights, no one bothers.

Funny thing is the Tesla drivers are an economical bunch and don't want to race anyway.

There's a few tesla drivers who are speed merchants in my village. 20mph everywhere in the village but the tesla cars, with the few pickups and range rovers ICES I might add, are being driven my entitled speed merchants. This isn't a large sample side but they're obvious in their driving style compared to the greater majority of drivers and cars driven close to the speed limits and without other bad driving habits.

PS I think this is about wealthy business person arrogance than car choice however this behaviour was once attributed to BMW drivers, audi drivers and slightly different but similar volvo drivers. I think the people buying new tesla cars or the company tesla drivers are similar to those who gave BMW drivers a bad name in the past.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
No one bothers racing a Tesla. Not that I'm condoning it and I've never seen a Tesla driven fast but at the traffic lights, no one bothers.

Funny thing is the Tesla drivers are an economical bunch and don't want to race anyway.

There a quite a few Tesla drag racers over the US , it takes very little to get them up the strip fast. Very popular in street racing too, especially over the 1/8th mile .

kynikos

Veteran

simongt

Guru
At a local service area offering EV charging, all five chargers are marked 'Telsa'. :whistle:
Somewhere else, I can't recall where exactly, all the chargers bore the BMW badge. :whistle:

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
At a local service area offering EV charging, all five chargers are marked 'Telsa'. :whistle:
Yes, those will be chargers owned by Tesla. They are now able to be used by other makes of car, although it's a bit challenging as they are specifically designed to work with Tesla and have quite short cables. Or do you actually mean they say "Telsa" as some sort of weird typo game?

Somewhere else, I can't recall where exactly, all the chargers bore the BMW badge. :whistle:
Those will be part of the "BMW charging network" - although the chargers will be provided by a partner usually. Again, they can be used by other vehicles, but BMW owners will get a BMW swipe card that makes it easier and a discount. BMW however are parntered with Honda, Hyundai, Mercedes, Chrysler and General Motors

Porsche also have a network partnered with Instavolt I think.

simongt

Guru
Amuses me with EV charging stations that some providers are so possessive that they install plugs unique to their particular type of vehicle rather than the Government insisting in the first place that all plugs are the same as with fuels filler pumps and electric plug tops. :whistle:

Tight Git

Veteran
Amuses me with EV charging stations that some providers are so possessive that they install plugs unique to their particular type of vehicle rather than the Government insisting in the first place that all plugs are the same as with fuels filler pumps and electric plug tops. :whistle:

Not sure what you mean - all rapid DC chargers are now CCS in Europe and a few still installing Chademo for the legacy cars like the old Nissan Leaf (alongside the CCS). There aren't any unique to a type of vehicle.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran

As @Tight Git said, you have misunderstood. The only EV Charging stations that have ever only been usable by one car maker are Tesla chargers - and not because of the connector, but because there was no way to actually log in and pay unless you were a Tesla owner. That has changed now. You can charge anywhere, at any charger. However different manufacturers offer different discounts for using chargers from different companies that they have partnered with.

Top Bottom