Even in France you get....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...the occasional rude cyclist, although on the whole I find them very courteous, even the diehard roadies (of whom there are lots of course).

But this guy - on a clapped out road bike (well if you call anything with drop bars a 'road bike' that is) but certainly no roadie - well he almost literally glued himself to my wheel for several miles. It so happened that my wife and I were on a flat straight but quiet road, where even creaky old I can build up a reasonable pace, but there was a bit of headwind. Nevertheless I kept going and he had quite a job holding on to my wheel despite seeming to be half my age. I rarely make this sort of boast! I had no interest in shaking him off seeing as he'd got between me and my wife, but even when I slowed down he wouldn't pass. In the end I pointedly came to a complete stop ostensibly to take a drink but in reality to let my wife catch up. Despite my cheery 'bonjour' not even a grunt from him, not even eye contact.

Honestly! It takes all sorts. I just hope this person was the 'exception that proves the rule'. I have no problem with other cyclists in France, not in the least, they're really friendly.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
It's odd behaviour, but maybe he was autistic or something.

Top Bottom