Even middle-aged businessmen are doing it now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rafferty

Which is exactly the reason I have no interest in competitive cycling. It's simply a reflection of the greed in the real world. Those with the means, can more or less do what they like, if they are that way inclined.

I refer to doping which, according to a believable report, is now endemic in amateur cycling.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-commission-epo-worldtour?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
I heard the report on Radio 4 this morning, it is a subject that has been doing the rounds for quite a few years now. In this household we are involved in the amateur racing scene and have been for a long time and there have certainly been questionable performances / results that have been the subject of long discussions and some follow up research / checking on previous results.
It is hugely depressing and not a little scary, but I think from our point of view it may well do a lot of damage to amateur cycling because just like pro cycling any fast ride will be looked upon with a degree of suspicion, unlike pro cycling there is no money available for drugs testing. Under the current system you would be extremely unlucky to get caught.

Citius

Fast rides in themselves are one thing, but fast rides from someone who was going like a dog a few weeks/months earlier are probably more likely to be noticed. That's certainly how one of two of the amateur dopers have been picked up

Citius

Amateurs are meant to love things, aren't they? Dopers don't love cycling, so aren't amateurs.

Dopers like winning - they simply don't want to put the work in, or would rather take a short cut. They may still love cycling though, to be fair. Not that we should be fair to them, but you know what I mean.

Citius

They probably do put the work in but without the drugs are simply not good enough.

Yep - I'll go along with that... :smile:

On the 'loving cycling' thing - nobody could accuse JTL of not loving cycling. Hes still riding, and still keen to make a career out of it, as far as I'm aware.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Until Even Educated Fleas do it, I remain unimpressed.

Top Bottom