1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Event Preparation

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by lastpubrunner, 1 Apr 2008.

1. I am doing my first event on Sunday - a 50 mile reliability run with 5,000ft of climb. I realise that probably most of you could do this easily, but I've never done anything like this before.

I've done some modest training, but what I would like to know is what cycling/exercise should I do between now & this Sunday to be in the best possible shape ?

2. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

IMO youre too late to do anything that will have any great beneficial effect.
    Dont ride too soon before the event, and make sure youre well fed and watered in the run up.

Good luck BTW :biggrin:...take it steady and pace yourself.

3. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

On the day eat and drink - i.e. take carb drinks and re-fuel at any stops.

Don't over cook yourself in the run up - short steady rides to keep everything loose, any additional training will make it harder on the day due to recovery.

4. Eat well beforehand. Carry stuff and ride as fossyant says. Good luck!

5. 02GF74

02GF74 Über Member

rest the 2 days before the event.

6. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

All of the above, and good luck too, you'll be fine, it's not that far really, and soon enough you will have that magic 50 miler under your belt, then there will be no stopping you :biggrin:

7. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Get an early night Friday - the sleep the night before the night before is important.

8. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

And be careful that you don't die.

That was a joke by the way

9. Nothing Scientific but I like a pasta meal the night before, its maybe all in the head but it seems to give me more energy the next day.

10. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

Yep, forgot that bit, 200grms of pasta the night before,and a nice big bowl of porridge and honey for beakfast.

11. yenrod

yenrod Guest

You weigh your pasta :evil::eek:;):eek::B) - im amazed !

12. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

Apparently according to the DVD that the comic gave away recently 200grms of Pasta is what you should eat the night before a long (sportive) ride, I haven't put it to the test myself yet, but I will in June as I will be cycling the Highclere Castle Sportive 200km a bit more if I cycle to the start.

13. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

I working on the once posted 'as much pasta as you can eat without being sick'

200gms?

14. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

The bags we buy from Lidl are 1Kg, 200grms isn't a lot is it?:biggrin: A plateful, nice bit of Pesto on top.:smile: