Ever felt stupid.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Just looking at another post,brought back a memory of me making a fool of myself.
I was going for an endoscopy,i had never had anything like that before.So i am the last patient,i can see the staff are in a hurry to finish.Out comes a Doctor with a small torch.He asks me to open my mouth,shines the torch down my throat,and says ok.I thanked him and asked was that it and can i go.He looked at me in amazement.What followed,it would have been better had i walked.Not something i would give someone as a present.He must have thought i was an idiot.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Unlucky, an endoscopy is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever had to go through and that includes a camera heading elsewhere in my body.

I hated every moment of it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Unlucky, an endoscopy is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever had to go through and that includes a camera heading elsewhere in my body.

I hated every moment of it.
My late pal had Barrett's oesophagus so he had to have an endoscopy every year to check for any cancerous changes. He was not too concerned about the 'sword swallowing' the first time ... :whistle: Subsequent examinations were done under sedation! :okay:

tyred

Legendary Member
I did something similar, not with a medical procedure but with a job interview. I was brought in to face two guys - shook hands, introductions, etc. One of them did all the talking and the other sat silent. I thought the interview was over and the guy who had done the talking thanked me and said that he had covered all he needed. I stood up and shook their hands again, thanked them and marched out of the office only to have one of them come running after me.

The interview was being done in two parts. The guy who had said nothing was to do the second part, except I'd tried to walk out. I didn't get that job for some reason. Can't think why.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I did something similar, not with a medical procedure but with a job interview. I was brought in to face two guys - shook hands, introductions, etc. One of them did all the talking and the other sat silent. I thought the interview was over and the guy who had done the talking thanked me and said that he had covered all he needed. I stood up and shook their hands again, thanked them and marched out of the office only to have one of them come running after me.

The interview was being done in two parts. The guy who had said nothing was to do the second part, except I'd tried to walk out. I didn't get that job for some reason. Can't think why.

To be fair, what an odd pallaver, and pretty poor of them, I think unprofessional is the word, to not explain the gig from the start.

I've done a lot of recruiting and the "proper" way of doing it is to tell the candidate that we're going to do this, then we're going to that. If you deviate from this norm, then explain what's expexted. If you, as recruiter, play silly buggers or try and unsettle the candidate, when you come to offer the job said candidate will think "what a bunch of tossers, I'll take the offer from the sensible guys at the other firm. And the guy you actually want to hire, will like be making a choice of employer, just as much as you're choosing the candidate

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
[QUOTE 4559158, member: 9609"]even worse when you learn the bloke in before you had a Colonoscopy[/QUOTE]
And what with them being in a hurry to go home.
Because they do "usually" change the tube. :whistle:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I was visiting a construction company last month and as I walked past one of the sheds I saw a forklift driver had spilled a load off a pallet and was struggling to get it back on the forks. I went over to help and said "Can I give you a hand?".

Even before I'd finished the sentence I saw the reason why he was struggling was he only had one hand, the other was a stump.

:sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was visiting a construction company last month and as I walked past one of the sheds I saw a forklift driver had spilled a load off a pallet and was struggling to get it back on the forks. I went over to help and said "Can I give you a hand?".

Even before I'd finished the sentence I saw the reason why he was struggling was he only had one hand, the other was a stump.

:sad:
:blush:

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I remember a lecturer telling about a time when he was teaching in the USA, and there was some stuff he wanted to get off the whiteboard. He went into an office where a few American colleagues were chatting and interrupted to ask "does anyone have a rubber I can borrow?" It took him a while to work out why they looked so shocked.

Tin Pot

Guru
Just looking at another post,brought back a memory of me making a fool of myself.
I was going for an endoscopy,i had never had anything like that before.So i am the last patient,i can see the staff are in a hurry to finish.Out comes a Doctor with a small torch.He asks me to open my mouth,shines the torch down my throat,and says ok.I thanked him and asked was that it and can i go.He looked at me in amazement.What followed,it would have been better had i walked.Not something i would give someone as a present.He must have thought i was an idiot.

Medical examinations are particularly stressful, not only are normal social norms of privacy set aside, the exam itself can be painful, and the outcome of the exam can be world ending...so it's not unusual, and even less important, for people to make fools of themselves.

I usually go in, assuming that someone will try to insert things, and ask questions from the get go until the end.

Doesn't make it less embarrassing but at least I know what the hells happening.

I had to go in for a scan on a lump in my back last year, my dad died of various lymphomas so I'm wondering if this is the beginning of the end of me. I asked exactly what they were doing, what a good result is and what a bad result is and what any follow up steps would be. They don't like giving simple conclusions but I managed to extract from the information that I was "OK".

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I had one and a friend had said he had it without sedation so I opted for that assuming it was some sort of thin camera, on my side looking at he hozelock sized black tube I realised I had made a massive mistake and to be told to stop gagging added a wtf and I couldn't even answer him back!!

Top Bottom