Ever heard of Beryl Burton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

The lovely Maxine Peake is doing a drama about her I think.
According to t'interwebs, it's an adaptation of her radio play "Beryl:A Love Story on Two Wheels", which is the one mentioned up there ^. I like Maxine Peake's work.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Just checked the CTT site. B Burton still holds the 12hr record and dominates the top 15 placings in all distances. The modern females aren't worthy of kissing her @rse!!
The top level modern females don't ride time trials, they ride track and road races. Burton's twelve hour performance was a very worthy ride, but remember the men she was competing against were not top level amateurs and a fair percentage were vets. Time trialling had long been usurped as the discipline of choice for the aspiring riders, they were concentrating on the road and very rarely if ever bothered riding against the watch. Look back through the time trial records and you won't find names like Pete Matthews, Doug Daily or Dave Rollinson anywhere on the lists.

alicat

Legendary Member
Yes. A fine Leeds girl who credits her successes to 'training, strength of mind and solid Yorkshire grub'. She deserves to be better known.

The top level modern females don't ride time trials, they ride track and road races. Burton's twelve hour performance was a very worthy ride, but remember the men she was competing against were not top level amateurs and a fair percentage were vets. Time trialling had long been usurped as the discipline of choice for the aspiring riders, they were concentrating on the road and very rarely if ever bothered riding against the watch. Look back through the time trial records and you won't find names like Pete Matthews, Doug Daily or Dave Rollinson anywhere on the lists.

Don't forget she held down a full time physical job. How many of today's riders do that?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Beryl Burton used to climb the hill in my village regularly- we were used to seeing her flying about so often I thought she lived there but none of the information given about her ever mentions it, so it may have just been a rumour started by my grandad!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
She was the celeb who opened the youth club my dad used to work at (when Doncaster had youth clubs). Dad got her autograph and I have it somewhere at his house.

Ganymede

Veteran
Just FYI - Maxine Peake did the radio play, which was so successful that it's now become a stage play. Love Maxine Peake. And Beryl's obviously a goddess!

Top Bottom