Ever heard of Beryl Burton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Nice mural of her in Morley, where my parents live. Amazing record holder
Visited Morley today and read her blue plaque. She was a regular visitor to my home town of Knaresborough and we have the Beryl Burton Cycleway named in her honour.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
@400bhp You are right. We have had a number of current female world champion pro riders at the local TT this season. I think they are all encouraged to do it by their teams and BC. BC have been known to block 5 or 10 spaces and send a load of the 100% Me riders down.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They do on occasions, but not week in week out chasing fast times on flat courses as was the norm during time trialing's heyday. The sport in this country has changed beyond recognition since BB's day. I'm not knocking her exceptional prowess as a rider, but her performances have to be put into the context of her time in which women's cycling had nowhere near the quality it has now.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
"Burton died on the eve of her 59th birthday, out on her bike, posting invitations for her party. Peake wells up telling the story: "It was her heart. It just packed up. Apparently it could have happened any time. Someone just found her there in the road with her bike. But at least she died on her bike. It's like Tommy Cooper dying on stage."

A sad end indeed.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
+1, she is regularly featured or mentioned across the cycling press.

A true Champion for women athletes.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
A great cyclist in her day but by no means the greatest British female, that mantle belongs to Nicole Cooke. Women's racing in the sixties was a very amateur affair, World Championship road races were only about 35 miles long and half the field would have had trouble staying with a fast club run.
Has she (Nicole Cooke) now been eclipsed by the great Marianne Vos Smokin Joe ?

Not sure myself, just feels as though she might.

Edit.

Sorry, just re-read your post, I think Vos is the Worlds most successful female cyclist as opposed to British that you referred to.

A great cyclist in her day but by no means the greatest British female, that mantle belongs to Nicole Cooke. Women's racing in the sixties was a very amateur affair, World Championship road races were only about 35 miles long and half the field would have had trouble staying with a fast club run.
I Personally think that these "best ever / greatest ever" are unrealistic and pointless

How would Beryl Burton have fared with the level of support and equipment that Nicole Cooke had?

How would Nicole Cooke have fared with the problems, equipment and family life that Beryl Burton had?

Top Bottom