Ever ridden your bike to an interview?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jahlive905

I need some advice. Should I or shouldn't I?

The company seems quite relaxed and I was told explicitly not to wear a suit because I'd stand out. My journey would only be 30 minutes but does it seem too weird, carrying my helmet into the interview...?

Not as weird as the full replica lycra kit :becool:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't see why not. I've ridden to press interviews, but I don't wear a helmet or lycra and stuff any of the few cycling comforts I am using (padded gloves, goggles when windy) into my bag when I near my destination if I'm likely to be seen arriving. Trouser clips come off quick and get stuffed into a pocket and I'd usually remove my hat when going indoors anyway.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It could work to your advantage and be a topic of conversation during your interview.
Go for it, but ride there slowly so you're not dripping with sweat!

I rode to my interview with the Royal Mail on my bike and the interviewer popped out to show me the best place to lock my bike.

Debade

Über Member
I don't see why not. I've ridden to press interviews, but I don't wear a helmet or lycra and stuff any of the few cycling comforts I am using (padded gloves, goggles when windy) into my bag when I near my destination if I'm likely to be seen arriving. Trouser clips come off quick and get stuffed into a pocket and I'd usually remove my hat when going indoors anyway.

I think the quote is good advice. When I started my consulting business, I would bike to nearby clients. For first time clients, I would arrive early enough to freshen up a bit in the bathroom and bring a change of clothes (usually just a shirt unless it was a cold winter day) if I was concerned I would not look 'professional'. I can't remember a negative comment and typically it led to a good conversation starter.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
It does seem weird. Why would you wear a helmet?

<runs away very, very quickly>

Seriously, if you've been told NOT to wear a suit, I think they'll be fine with you carrying a helmet in. Best of luck, and I hope it goes well.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just don't turn up covered in mud.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
At the risk of going against the tide here, I'd be a little cautious. The postman case is very different as posties use (or at least did use) bikes on the job, so it would clearly help in that instance..

The real risk is coming over as someone trying to make a point - which isn't a good start as a job applicant.
Or them asking, "would he cycle to meet a customer and turn up in lycra" (or equivalent depending on the job).

Now, if you can chain up the bike round the corner, and just stroll in, looking tidy and unruffled, well then it's a non-question.

I'd certainly not ask the employer where to park your bike say, as there's the risk of them asking themselves if you'd then be a nuisance demanding cycle storage, or showers or whatever.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I'd go for it. There's a good chance the first person you meet will be the receptionist. Just ask if you can leave your helmet with him/her. Just like you would with an umbrella or raincoat or even a suitcase.

Katherine

Guru
Good luck with your interview. Take something to put the helmet and other cycling accessories in. Leaving it with the receptionist as suggested above, sounds like a good plan. As is removing trouser clips before arrival.

BrynCP

Über Member
I've interviewed a couple of people who came on bikes, and in their suits. I was more curious where they had locked their bike for security than the fact they had come on a bike. They left their helmets with the bike.

Top Bottom