Ever ridden your bike to an interview?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I rode my Brompton to an interview and kept it in the corner of the room. The guy who was going through my coding example with me said "that's a very small bike," and for some reason I replied "and I have a tiny penis, too." I got the job. They were pretty laid back.

OP
OP
jahlive905

jahlive905

this is the most bizarre thing i've read in this thread.

anyway all, I didn't get the job. oh well

OP
OP
jahlive905

jahlive905

I didn't ride because I didn't want the stress of following directions to a new place and finding somewhere to lock up when I arrived - what with already an interview to contend with, it just seemed a bit much. This turned out to be a good decision because I couldn't see anywhere convenient to lock the bike (I have a mini D lock so I can generally only park it on a designated cycle rack).

I do think it would have been a good talking point to break the ice though and probably would have worked in my favour given the nature of the company.

jay clock

Massive member
I am a freelance HR consultant and have taken my Brompton to meetings with agencies with no problems. However my advice would be generally to avoid anything in the way in which you act or look that might give them reason to dislike you. There are plenty of rational people who just feel a little judgy about the sort of person who cycles to an interview, even if they end up cycling to the office when they join. In the same way as they might be judgy if you pull up in a 5.6L Mustang. So give them zero chance.

On a separate note I stopped wearing ties a couple of years back and never had a problem with that. If the lack of a tie loses me the job, then I wouldn't have wanted the job anyway (which I know clashes with para 1 above!)

lolly

Many times - in fact in the last few years I can't remember using any other transport mode to an interview. I live in a town where cycling is the norm, and parking is limited and expensive. In many cases I've been warned prior to an interview that they can't offer parking. I generally cycle in normal clothes (and I have a good smart raincoat in case of bad weather). To avoid sweating I give plenty of time so I can take a relaxed pace. Personally I don't wear helmet but if I did I'd probably lock it to the bike or take a bag to put it away in before entering the building. Basically I don't turn up looking like a cyclist, and don't discuss travel arrangements unless asked directly. Though in many cases being a cyclist is a positive point as employee because you don't have the excuse of being late from traffic jams/train delay! It's also a good trial run commute if you are planning on cycling to work - is it a route you'd be happy to ride every day?

jade1981

I think it shows you have interests and hobbies, as well as that you're not lazy! shouldn't have a problem with it but it could make you late if you're struggling to find a safe spot to leave our bike and don't give yourself enough time e.c.t.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am a freelance HR consultant and have taken my Brompton to meetings with agencies with no problems. However my advice would be generally to avoid anything in the way in which you act or look that might give them reason to dislike you. There are plenty of rational people who just feel a little judgy about the sort of person who cycles to an interview, even if they end up cycling to the office when they join. In the same way as they might be judgy if you pull up in a 5.6L Mustang. So give them zero chance.
I would rather give them ample opportunity to be small-minded and judgemental so I wouldn't have to end up working for/with them! If they didn't like me, then I wouldn't like them ...

If I were responsible for interviewing applicants for a job, I would see big positives in anyone who cycled to the interview.

beany_bot

Veteran
Don't forget cycling takes commitment and guts! If I were interviewing and somebody cycled to it. I would see it as a plus. and not because they are a cyclist, but because I know it takes effort to be one. Good points.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
We on here as like minded individuals know that cycling is a good, safe, healthy way of getting about that in the long term provide health benefits over our more sedentary fellow humand so we're probably not the best audience to ask.

I know many of my friends and colleagues adamantly have cycling, particularly Commuting, in the same risk category as skydiving with a wet paper parachute while strapped to an anvil.

Potential injury/sick leave/ death could be a casting vote factor in a non cycling employers mind between 12 odd stone of squishy you appearing vulnerable to everyone in a vehicle and the nice sensible other candidate that turned up in a 5 star safety rated reinforced steel cage & surrounded by airbags.

Find out what you can about your audience and play it to your advantage or at least not to your disadvantage.

Top Bottom