Ever ridden your bike to an interview?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I cycled to an interview but it was near town so I went into M&S to freshen up, though I don't remember where I left my pannier. I don't remember making a point about cycling there.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I had to go from my guard post to the main office when I interviewed for my bus driving position. My bike was a curiosity, so that deflected any worries about why I showed up for a driving job on a bicycle.(I and Mrs. Ga have one car, and work about 6 miles apart).You didn't see too many Raleigh 20's in Central Illinois then.

Reactions: mjr
I'd certainly not ask the employer where to park your bike say, as there's the risk of them asking themselves if you'd then be a nuisance demanding cycle storage, or showers or whatever.

Don't forget it's not only them interviewing you; you are also interviewing them. If them having a problem with you cycling into work is a deal breaker for you, then best to find out before they offer you the job.

(If you intend to cycle to work, then at the end of the interview you should definitely ask about cycle storage, and it's more than 10 miles, showers and whatever.)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd certainly not ask the employer where to park your bike say, as there's the risk of them asking themselves if you'd then be a nuisance demanding cycle storage, or showers or whatever.
Would you want to work full-time for intransigent unwilling-to-adapt bike-bashers, though? ;)

Slightly different scenario, but when I doubt the cycle storage at a client site and there's no nearby cycle hire scheme, I take my folding bike and its cover. It's smaller than some of the monstrous wheeled cases brought by people who arrive by taxi - I sometimes wonder if they've come straight from a 2-week holiday or packed their whole desk or what.

I do routinely ask other places I visit (suppliers, as well as conferences and so on) about cycle parking and directions. After all, how will they realise there's demand if their customers don't ask?

I rode to two interviews at law firms just before Easter, in the pouring rain, in full business suit (including pencil skirt & heels), with waterproof jacket over the top. Got a little damp but neither establishments batted an eyelid other than to express what appeared to be genuine sympathy over the dreadful weather.

So I guess my advice would be, be sensible and be yourself.

Don't forget it's not only them interviewing you; you are also interviewing them. If them having a problem with you cycling into work is a deal breaker for you, then best to find out before they offer you the job.

(If you intend to cycle to work, then at the end of the interview you should definitely ask about cycle storage, and it's more than 10 miles, showers and whatever.)
This is exactly what I do. The ones that don't offer all that are actually really embarrassed and apologetic when they admit it. They know they are behind the times.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
I need some advice. Should I or shouldn't I?

The company seems quite relaxed and I was told explicitly not to wear a suit because I'd stand out. My journey would only be 30 minutes but does it seem too weird, carrying my helmet into the interview...?

It's the luck of the draw. If they're on cyclechat too, you'll be fine.

Or if you're a good looking young lady, it will be viewed as a big plus.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
cycled to an interview? yes.

my bike is my only transport. it does feel weird cycling whilst wearing a shirt & tie, but needs must.

On one occasion I received bemused looks from the interviewers when I told them that I intend to cycle everyday, rain or shine (it was torrential the day of the interview)... they told me that they're both 'keen' cyclists, adding 'but not in this weather'. I didn't get that job and I suspect a car-centric mindset was one of their reasons.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
And, any possible sexism (on the part of the interviewer) aside, if you're an overweight middle-aged woman, you will perceived as healthier than average, and proactive and resourceful to boot. You can't lose, really.

You're right. There seems to be a positive bias towards women riding the bike. "Good for her".

However with a man there is potential negative bias. "Who does he think he is".

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I don't know what course others may take, but as a middle aged (or later) man who cycles, I think I am faster than walking, or, in our current traffic, the bus.
I think in our town the stigma against men cycling is offset by the fact that it is so prevalent. And parsimony of the American Midwesterner means you see some real museum pieces out there on the road.

Reactions: 2IT
Top Bottom