Ever wondered what's the appeal of cyclocross?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru

View: https://youtu.be/CF3yMhFarFc

This video is proof that Belgium isn’t going to let other countries take over Cyclocross anytime soon, chapeau to Sven Nys for giving something back to the next generation

I used to race CX
Did it for quite a few years, first on an MTB, then a real CX bike
(ie; no bottle-bosses, no mudguard eyes!!)

Riders now use MTBs & gravel bikes too

It's damned good fun, if cold/muddy/wet
It teaches excellent bike handling skills, that can translate onto the roads!
You might come round a corner & (due to traffic?) have to ride over gravel/horse-sh*t/diesel, invariably the CX-er will stay on the bike, & a less able rider slides down the road

Also, it's a damned hard (level 3 - 4) workout for an hour!!

Only problem is, you might get hooked

Coincidentally, I was in East Leeds, watching a CX this afternoon!
The Jonathon Noble Memorial Cyclo-Cross
(organised by Seacroft Wheelers)
Temple Newsam.

https://yorkshirecyclocross.com/tre...-jonathon-noble-memorial-cross-temple-newsam/

Here's a few pics...
488967 488968 488973

488972 488976 488974

I bumped into my friend Sarah, who was riding her recently purchased ('pre-owned') Boardman
Something told us, that the previous owner didn't ride it off-road, let alone compete on it...
:blink:^_^

Attachments

• 2019. Temple Newsam. 2 (11).JPG
    2019. Temple Newsam. 2 (11).JPG
    193 KB · Views: 15
  • 2019. Temple Newsam. 2 (28).JPG
    2019. Temple Newsam. 2 (28).JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 15
Also, at Temple Newsam, & the same 'memorial event
Circa 1993
At that time, they used the other side of the estate, in Avenue Woods

Maybe 1994 - 1995??
Silcoates Scramble
Wrenthorpe
(Wakefield)
The 'real' CX bike, an ex Paul Milnes/Bradford Olympic team issue (653 frame/forks)
Later wrote off, by the guy who bought it from me, at the Three Peaks CX

Oakwell Hall
(near Cleckheaton)
New Club colours

Whitechapel School
Cleckheaton
(near 'Chain Bar'.... jct 16/M62)
Possibly my muddiest CX, having to pedal down a 1-in-3, to keep going!!

'Summer Season CX'
A school at Huddersfield

(the same) Memorial CX, at Temple Newsam

Levo-Lon

Guru
I quite like a mud bath when its just terrible, such good fun but it has to be on an MTB for me.
I dont get CX bikes to be honest..

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My kids race CX and on Saturday did their 8th race of this season. 5 more to go. The kids never fail to finish a race with huge grins on their (very muddy) faces. The two downsides are 1) for we spectators who inevitably freeze while standing watching; 2) I end up washing both bikes when we get home.

Last week, a chap from our club entered his first ever race (45 minutes). He said he got home, washed his bike and then slept for 12 hours straight through :laugh:

Spartak