Everyone’s touring plans!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Our family trip is from Saint Malo to Bilbao in the school holidays! A few days exploring Brittany, which is new to me. A few days on Noirmoutier and then down towards La Rochelle. Then a skip down to Bordeaux and then a 100-mile day through the Landes to Biarritz for some time off! (My husband and son love a challenge and it’ll be Pog’s first century ride). Then a skip through Basque Country to finish in Bilbao and the ferry back to Portsmouth!

We are very excited!

All uphill

Still rolling along
Our family trip is from Saint Malo to Bilbao in the school holidays! A few days exploring Brittany, which is new to me. A few days on Noirmoutier and then down towards La Rochelle. Then a skip down to Bordeaux and then a 100-mile day through the Landes to Biarritz for some time off! (My husband and son love a challenge and it’ll be Pog’s first century ride). Then a skip through Basque Country to finish in Bilbao and the ferry back to Portsmouth!

We are very excited!

We had a wonderful holiday on the Ile de Noirmoutier about ten years ago! Happy memories. Thanks for reminding me.

I'm doing a mini tour of the Waveney Valley on the Norfolk/Suffolk border in April, followed by a couple of weeks in the Netherlands in May. Both areas are familiar to me, but they will still be adventures and I will see family on each trip.

I'm also keen to take the train to Manchester, where our son lives and cycle home to Somerset, maybe in September

Last edited:

MikeG

Guru
Cycle touring, presumably?

I am in the early stages of planning a coast-to-coast St Davids (Wales) to Lowestoft (Suffolk) ride for late summer. At the moment it is nothing more than an ambition, and a motivator to get some training done.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
First week of September we're flying into Bilboa then cycling over the Pyrenees to Toulous.

Hat!

Should (finally) do the Belgian Coast this year, and hopefully the Hauraki Rail Trail this coming winter. It's a bit of a logistical nightmare, but I have a possible solution involving persuading a bike into a Cessna 172. As you do...

Glow worm

Legendary Member
All booked, leaving Sunday week: Ride to Harwich for the overnight ferry to the Hook, then ride north up the Dutch coast 30 miles, to stay in Noordwijk for 3 nights where my wife will join me and we’ll go see the tulip fields nearby.

Then my plan is to head north then east past Hoorn and then ride the long causeway through Ijsselmeer then head slowly back to the Hook via a couple of national parks- should be a 7 day trip. Only about 40 miles each day. Sadly though, at the moment the weather forecast that week is terrible!

All uphill

Still rolling along
All booked, leaving Sunday week: Ride to Harwich for the overnight ferry to the Hook, then ride up the Dutch coast 30 miles, to stay in Noordwijk for 3 nights where my wife will join me and we’ll go see the tulip fields nearby.

Then my plan is to head north then east past Hoorn and then ride the long causeway through Ijsselmeer then head slowly back to the Hook via a couple of national parks- should be a 7 day trip. Only about 40 miles each day. Sadly though, at the moment the weather forecast that week is terrible!

Is the Afsluitdijk across the Ijsselmeer open to cyclists again? There has been a bus service across for bikes and riders in recent years.

Last time I was that way I took the ferry from Enkhuizen to Friesland. A great experience!

Edit: the dijk is closed to cyclists till 2025, but there is a bus.

Edit again: https://veerboot.info/en/
Link to ferry.

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Is the Afsluitdijk across the Ijsselmeer open to cyclists again? There has been a bus service across for bikes and riders in recent years.

Last time I was that way I took the ferry from Enkhuizen to Friesland. A great experience!

Edit: the dijk is closed to cyclists till 2025, but there is a bus.

Edit again: https://veerboot.info/en/
Link to ferry.

I think the causway I’m hoping to cross is a little to the south and called Markerwaardijk(?) so I’m hoping it’s ok especially as I want to see Trintelhaven half way across as it is an old radio transmitting site (interesting to dull radio geeks like me!).

All uphill

Still rolling along
I think the causway I’m hoping to cross is a little to the south and called Markerwaardijk(?) so I’m hoping it’s ok especially as I want to see Trintelhaven half way across as it is an old radio transmitting site (interesting to dull radio geeks like me!).

Ah that makes sense.

I wish you sun and friendly breezes.

Top Bottom