Everything is a mess (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

SRanger

She should admit that it was her fault for not paying attention because if she was then she would have seen me cycling in front of her? Shouldn't you be aware of your surroundings and be responsible for vulnerable road users as a driver?

All uphill

Still rolling along
I understand that you have had a nasty shock and are feeling upset; I would be, too.

As a society we have to decide what level of services we are prepared to pay for through our taxes. My understanding is that the police in many or most areas are stretched and will understandably focus their resources on crime that results in injury.

I hope you find some peace with the situation and take all the good advice you have been offered above and get a reasonable settlement.

classic33

Leg End Member
What? This is the first time I've encountered an incident with a car. I don't know the process behind this legal stuff. I'm eager to learn.
The biggest "lesson" you can learn is not to expect miracles. Nearly all answering are passing on their experiences.

Of the three things you were told you'd have to do, how many have you done so far? They are get yourself seen to, or at least make an appointment, and get your bike into a bike shop, for them to give a quote on the cost of any damage caused to the bike. And to use the details, given at the scene to ask for details of the drivers insurance.

If you're expecting their insurance company to contact you, you're in for a long weight.
If you wanted to claim on any insurance you had, accidental damage or burst pipe in the house for instance, you'd have to get in touch with the insurance company to start to make a claim. This differs slightly in that it isn't your insurance company that you nerd to contact.

Both reports will be required now that you've said you're feel some pain. Origional answer was "No", when asked about injury.

Without either, your chance of getting anything are lower than zero.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Shouldn't you be aware of your surroundings and be responsible for vulnerable road users as a driver?

Yes. Drivers should be doing lots of things that they don't do, and conversely doing lots of things that they should not do. But in the present climate of cutbacks within the Police, it is a sad fact that unless someone is killed or seriously injured, they simply don't have the resources to deal with it.
All the stuff you have posted on here, I suggest you go to a lawyer with it and let them sort it out. They will claim the driver's insurance. That's as good as you're going to get.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
There is also a CCTV camera on that road when I checked Google Maps
Who owns the CCTV camera, and have you been in touch, to see if the footage is still there.
Industrial buildings tend to work on a five day cycle. Recording over previous footage, unless something is caught that they need to check.

Have you checked your own camera footage? If not do so and keep that footage safe, in an unaltered state.

OP
OP
S

SRanger

Who owns the CCTV camera, and have you been in touch, to see if the footage is still there.
Industrial buildings tend to work on a five day cycle. Recording over previous footage, unless something is caught that they need to check.

Have you checked your own camera footage? If not do so and keep that footage safe, in an unaltered state.

It's a CCTV owned by the council. I had to merge my videos together and trim it to the part where the incident happened

vickster

Legendary Member
It's a CCTV owned by the council. I had to merge my videos together and trim it to the part where the incident happened

The police will request if they see fit.
However, it sounds like she is at fault if she ran into you and her insurers will likely accept liability so you can claim.
However, that is different to her being prosecuted in some way which is unlikely.

classic33

Leg End Member
Get in touch tomorrow, at the latest, to see if the camera caught anything relating to what happened. If by chance it did, explain the situation and ask how you go about requesting a copy.

Your own footage has been "tampered with", by your own admission, so might not be classed as good evidence anymore. That is one lousy legal lesson now learnt by you. You have the untampered recording still, or was it destroyed when you joined up the videos?

Reactions: C R

presta

Guru
My understanding is that Cycling UK allows you to join and then use their legal services to pursue an already-occurred collision: https://www.cyclinguk.org/
What? The insurance industry would go bust if everyone could do that, there's no money to pay claims without the premiums from those who don't suffer any loss.
What? This is the first time I've encountered an incident with a car. I don't know the process behind this legal stuff. I'm eager to learn.
It takes more than a day or two. I reported my prang to the police (who didn't want to know), and then put my claim through the driver's letterbox. When nothing happened after a month, I went around to his house and found it empty, he'd done a bunk without paying. I eventually got his insurance details off the police, but they weren't in any hurry, and made it very plain that they thought they had better things to do.
She should admit that it was her fault
Admitting liability invalidates your insurance.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Your having a run of bad luck recently for a new member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220606_190444.jpg
    Screenshot_20220606_190444.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 5

C R

Guru
As others have said, it takes time, and you have to be proactive.

Bear in mind that an insurance claim is not necessarily related to a prosecution for a traffic offence. Of course, having the driver given points for driving without due care and attention will make your case stronger, but will not change what compensation you get or how you go about getting that compensation; you will need to put in a claim either by yourself or using a solicitor, it is unlikely that the drivers insurer will contact you. Additionally, waiting for a possible charge and conviction will take a long time, probably longer than resolving a straightforward claim like yours. TLDR get the reports and put in a claim.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

May I use my own experience to help you as it's relevant? About 15 years ago I was hit by a car, driver's fault and he admitted it. I was taken to hospital and discharged after a check up. It emerged a few days later that the tendon attached to the base of my right thumb was badly damaged. I reported the incident to the police to get a crime number beyond this the police weren't interested. My bike wasn't damaged.

I asked for advice on here, took the advice and used the law firm one poster recommended. The driver refused to provide insurance details but these were eventually found and a claim made with the insurers. He had not reported the incident which I imagine went against him.

I received £3000 injury compensation plus all costs paid. It took 15 months.

The message is to be patient.

I don't want to sound harsh but don't expect the police to be interested. Secondly I hope BC and Cycling UK won't support you as you were not a member at the time.

You have two simple choices; make the insurance claim yourself or ask a solicitor to do it. Personally I'd do it myself, it's nothing more than motoring claim the same as if a driver drove in to the back of your car. Harsh as well I suppose but ultimately that's all it is unless or until you prove injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom