Everything is a mess (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SRanger

Following my bike accident with a car, the police haven't responded that they're atleast investigating. British Cycling have also not confirmed my legal support. I don't know, I just feel helpless. I feel like nothing is going to happen even though it was the driver's fault.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
If you haven’t renewed your British Cycling membership (as you mentioned in a previous thread) then of course they won’t offer legal representation, you aren’t a member!
These things take time, the drivers insurers should be in touch.
You may want to contact Citizens advise Bureau (CAB) they will offer free help and advise.

vickster

Legendary Member
Following my bike accident with a car, the police haven't responded that they're atleast investigating. British Cycling have also not confirmed my legal support. I don't know, I just feel helpless. I feel like nothing is going to happen even though it was the driver's fault.

You'll probably receive a letter in a couple of weeks from the police asking you for a statement and what action against the driver if any you would like to be considered, it doesn't happen instantaneously especially given the long weekend (this is what happened recently for a friend of mine).
If you go the claim route, you will need a good dose of patience as it can take many months if not more (my claim took I think 3 if not 4 years to resolve).

As an alternative to the CAB... Do you have any sort of legal cover through your home insurance? Employee assistance through your employer? A member of a Trades Union?

vickster

Legendary Member
This solicitor's firm also has a Cycling claims department as an alternative to Leigh Day (or Slater and Gordon or any other myriad companies)
https://www.bottonline.co.uk/road-t...-much-compensation-claim-for-bicycle-accident
However, the size of the claim as mentioned on another of your threads may mean they don't take the case on

classic33

Leg End Member
Given that it won't be sorted within a few days, consider getting all your threads relating to the incident made into one.

It'll make it easier, for yourself, to have all the information in one place. It will also stop you asking similar questions in multiple threads.

What luck on getting yourself seen, and the bike to a shop?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My understanding is that Cycling UK allows you to join and then use their legal services to pursue an already-occurred collision: https://www.cyclinguk.org/

And, as others have put, expect it to take some time. The police will take 3-4 weeks before they get the paperwork done, as they already have the driver's details. It could then take 12-18 months for a conclusion should it go to court, although I'd suggest from what you've put elsewhere it won't. It's more likely to be 'no further action' or the driver being offered a Driver Improvement course.

In terms of a claim you need a written assessment from a bike shop of any damage. That's needed for an insurance claim.

You also need to be seen by a doctor for any personal injury / or having photographed these. It'll take a few days for bruises to show but if it's more than bruising you should get a medical assessment.

For my rear-ending, where a Range Rover mounted the pavement to bypass traffic and took me out in the process, I chose simply to cover bike damage through the LBS (new rear wheel, new bar tape). I've had a negative experience with British Cycling's legal team in Leigh Day and wasn't injured. Even that took 2-3 weeks to resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom