Evolution of a ouchie cycling injury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
Nasty. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Helmets are always going to be an issue with the medical profession because they just see a "safety device" that everyone should use. I never used to wear one, but started when I met my OH for the sake of a quiet life. After my crash a while back, I was told, "It's a good thing you were wearing a helmet. It would have been a lot worse if you hadn't." My helmet didn't have a scratch on it, so it had obviously never touched the road.

I cannot believe that doctor suggested you should give up such a "selfish" activity as cycling. It makes you wonder how much they're actually contributing to the obesity problem. "No, don't go out and exercise. It's far too risky. Stay home and watch TV instead."

OP
OP
C

Chutzpah

Über Member
Just had the stitches out. When I walked in, the nurse said "you poor thing, how did you manage to do that?"

I said "well, it started about three years ago when I registered here and during my fitness check you told me to lose some weight" ^_^

Speedywheelsjeans

What a battle wound mate. Its a beauty. glad your alive and well though.

Maybe I should stop driving as its selfish that im driving with a young family as people die on roads daily. I'll certainly have to stop being selfish and eating custard creams as I heard a guy choked to death on them once. The doctor was also an idiot to prescribe you painkillers as I hear people die from them too... morons, Why dont they just treat us like everyone else, they dont tell obese people that they are being selfish, cyclists and motorcyclists get such a bad rap and get called organ doners all the time..... Like we have any organs left after we crash :laugh:.

At the risk of turning this into a helmet debate I do wear a helmet as I have smashed my head into the back of a minibus before with a helmet on and it cracked and dented in multiple places.. my head was blood and bruise free, just a headache... would likely have been a different story without one. Although it can be swings and roundabouts with helmets.. what saves you in one situation may damage you in another

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Interesting photos. I think the only helmet that would have helped you is the full face type and wouldn`t that have been a joy to be wearing on a long ride.

Thanks for the glasses tip. They certainly helped you more than a helmet would in this instance. I wear a helmet if I am going out on my road bike and will be travelling fast. Otherwise I do not bother.

I hope you have made a full recovery.

Steve

OP
OP
C

Chutzpah

Über Member
Another photo for the evolution of an ouchie cycling injury.....

This is proof of how amazing a machine the human body is: http://a.yfrog.com/img876/6558/2g2uq.jpg

So externally is still sorting itself out, although my internals still need a fair bit of work. I find that it comes in waves, sometimes I'll feel fine, and then I'll feel shocking. Touch wood that'll pass soon.

sidevalve

Über Member
Now that's a hell of a bump ! The only comment on the helmet topic is this wether they help or not if our leaders decide [in between taxing us all into poverty] "helmet = safety" they'll make the things compulsory.
Anyway, get well soon.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
OOOuch!!
Glad your on the mend, as far as helmets go all i can say is the solicitor i consulted regarding an injury asked me if i was wearing a helmet even though i hurt my hip.....

OP
OP
C

Chutzpah

Über Member
Finally managed to have a shave today:dance:

Returned to work properly on Monday. My neck gave me a fair bit of grief (desk job) but wasn't sure if I should go to the doctors. After making some enquiries (including friends who had had cycling accidents and friends in the medical profession) I decided it was best to go to the doctor. I wasn't sure as I thought they'd just say "of course your neck hurts" and tell me to go away.

I was seen yesterday morning and unfortunately the nurse did exactly that - told me that I was wasting my time being there as I'd had a big accident, and it was "unreasonable" to expect my body to be healed already. Every time she asked me a question she would cut me off (for example... "well, where does it hurt?" *Me points to neck* "Well, mainly here when I..." "Well of course your neck would hurt! Does it hurt any where else?" "Yes, sometimes the left hand side of my hand here aches for no apparent reason and I find it difficult..." "Of course you'll get pains like that! Your body is all connected up!")

I think I sat there long enough though, as she said she'd put me through to see the doctor, who was.... fantastic. She checked my neck and wrist, discussed pain relief and went through some exercises that I could do to keep my neck moving. That's all I needed, and she reassured me that if I'm still concerned in a week to return and we'll discuss physio.

I was meant to be doing a 72 mile audax on Sunday but I think it's safe to say that that's out :-( However, as soon as I can twist my neck confidently all the time (at the moment the pain comes and goes and isn't always consistent, which is annoying) I'm hoping to try a commute again.

Top Bottom