ex smoker fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karl v

Hi - I am looking for advice to help build my fitness stamina etc.

I stopped smoking back in august after twenty years and now am looking to get back into cycling to help me get fit again.
Problem is after going out on the bike it was excruciating had no stamina out of breath etc .
So my question is, can any one suggest a training plan to help me build fitness stamina endurance etc without giving myself a heart attack in the first month, I understand its Going to take some time but I want to do it the right way .
Thank you

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There is a thread smoking...............no more where cyclists who are ex smokers talk to each other if you ask questions there I am sure they will help you.

Peteaud

Veteran
Hi - I am looking for advice to help build my fitness stamina etc.

I stopped smoking back in august after twenty years and now am looking to get back into cycling to help me get fit again.
Problem is after going out on the bike it was excruciating had no stamina out of breath etc .
So my question is, can any one suggest a training plan to help me build fitness stamina endurance etc without giving myself a heart attack in the first month, I understand its Going to take some time but I want to do it the right way .
Thank you

As an ex smoker, i can give you the best plan ever....

1) get on bike
2) ride
3 ) repeat

The more you do, the better and fitter you get. Just start small and slowly build up distance, bigger hills etc.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You've done the hard part giving up the fags, now get out there when ever you can. Yes you will probably find your chest is tight, and you may wheeze a bit, but get some air into your lungs. You will soon feel better.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
As an ex smoker, i can give you the best plan ever....

1) get on bike
2) ride
3 ) repeat

The more you do, the better and fitter you get. Just start small and slowly build up distance, bigger hills etc.

+1 for that. I quit just over a year back following 25 yrs on 20+ a day, went on first ride with my Dad up what I now see as only a small hill, damn near killed me, felt like puking my guts up at the top, and that was after stopping 3 times on the way up! After 4 months off the fags and 4 month of just riding, doing 5 miles, 10 miles, et c, by June it was 40 miles each time out, and so much easier..

gbb

Legendary Member
Firstly, well done on two fronts, kicking the habit and doing something about your fitness.
20 years off the bike (I assume), you're starting from scratch and it is hard..for everyone. Time on the bike, even little trips are valuable and will bring fitness.
As an indicator, as an ex commuter and 'commited' regular cyclist covering 5k to 6k miles PA , ive had a year out due to health issues...its bloody hard getting back into it. I still retain the ability to push on , but the stamina has gone.
Give yourself this summer, then you'll look back and see how much you've improved...and it will be significant.

Top Bottom