Exbike thief spills the beans...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
In which case I won't feel too bad riding around on my Carrera, now that it has been promoted to the ranks of high value bikes. I might even have to buy a lock for it ...

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
The problem with that article is that it only describes one category of bike thief.

I fixed up my old Halfords CX10 Hybrid bike for my son. I had been using it for commuting for about 5 years. I serviced bottom bracket, wheel hubs, new chain, sprocket, tyres etc, true'ed the wheels. Mechanically it was as good as new but aesthetically it looked really run down. It was locked up with a cheap cable lock outside a block of flats for the evening.

Some toe-rag nicked it. My guess it that is must have been kids as my guess it the re-sale value must have been about £10. What really annoyed was the thought that they probably rode it around for a bit and then dumped it somewhere.

The problem with that article is that it only describes one category of bike thief.
to be fair, it only covers one bike thief.

I've done a river clearance a few times. It breaks your heart to fish out what were obviously decent bikes when they dropped off the bridge. I assume most of them where joy riders.

What I found mysterious were the push chairs. No one is joy riding them. That couples said to each other "are we having any more kids?" "no, let's throw the push chair into the river" multiple times makes me sad for our species.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Carreras make sense to a thief.

They're common enough that there are loads about, so not going to standout on EBay/Gumtree. Yet not bargain basement bso, so enough profit - and no one's going to look suspiciously at a £400 bike up for sale for £200

Compare it to a pinerello, bianchi or other top end bikes.. They may be worth thousands, but buyers will be harder to find and more likely to check history when dropping serious money; owners will be on the lookout for them and they'll probably be well locked up.

Couple or three mid range bikes a day and you're probably sorted for your drugs of choice....

Top Bottom