Excellent birthday present

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
'Twas my birthday last week and my wife has obviously been paying attention to my bike witterings as she got me a cool present. I'll be attending the Edinburgh Bike coop bike maintenance course in July (soonest available!) :angry:

I'll be taking my bike over, although I think I might need to get it serviced and cleaned before I go! :becool::B)

Anyone else been on this?

Wolf04

Just cleaned, you effectively service it during the course or at least learn to.
Pete

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
'Twas my birthday last week and my wife has obviously been paying attention to my bike witterings as she got me a cool present. I'll be attending the Edinburgh Bike coop bike maintenance course in July (soonest available!) :biggrin:

I'll be taking my bike over, although I think I might need to get it serviced and cleaned before I go! :biggrin::biggrin:

I did it in Feb last year - it was excellent. Is it the all-day intensive one ?

After it, I was able to strip my bike down with confidence and give it a complete service. I managed to clean out, regrease and adjust the hubs, remove the BB, change the cranks, chainrings and cassette, re-index the gears and give the whole bike a lube and grease where required. Before that, I was too terrified to even try adjusting the gears !

OP
OP
M

magnatom

goo_mason said:
I did it in Feb last year - it was excellent. Is it the all-day intensive one ?

After it, I was able to strip my bike down with confidence and give it a complete service. I managed to clean out, regrease and adjust the hubs, remove the BB, change the cranks, chainrings and cassette, re-index the gears and give the whole bike a lube and grease where required. Before that, I was too terrified to even try adjusting the gears !

It is indeed the intensive course.

Of course you need to have all of the right tools to do all of that. I'm sure that costs a bob or two :biggrin:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
magnatom said:
It is indeed the intensive course.

Of course you need to have all of the right tools to do all of that. I'm sure that costs a bob or two :biggrin:

They'll no be havin a sale, will they? :biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

gambatte said:
They'll no be havin a sale, will they? :biggrin::biggrin:

Actually I've just had a look at their web site and they do a tune up tool kit for just under £40. Not bad, considering the cost savings if I no longer need to put the bike in for a service.....

Plax

Guru
I'm jealous. Something like that would be ideal for me. Unfortunately your lucky if you stumble across an LBS round these parts :biggrin:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
Actually I've just had a look at their web site and they do a tune up tool kit for just under £40. Not bad, considering the cost savings if I no longer need to put the bike in for a service.....

I bought the tune-up toolkit and a workstand a few weeks after the course. The kit's great, though ultimately you'll want a separate (and better) crank-puller and chain whip to make life a little easier. (I nearly did myself a mischief trying to pull the cranks using the weird toolkit tool where the crank-puller is one end of a three-ended allen-key thingummyjig.)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

goo_mason said:
I bought the tune-up toolkit and a workstand a few weeks after the course. The kit's great, though ultimately you'll want a separate (and better) crank-puller and chain whip to make life a little easier. (I nearly did myself a mischief trying to pull the cranks using the weird toolkit tool where the crank-puller is one end of a three-ended allen-key thingummyjig.)

I definitely need to go on this course as I have no idea what a crank puller and a chain whip are. At least I know what an allen key is :biggrin:

magnatom said:
'Twas my birthday last week and my wife has obviously been paying attention to my bike witterings as she got me a cool present. I'll be attending the Edinburgh Bike coop bike maintenance course in July (soonest available!) :biggrin:

I'll be taking my bike over, although I think I might need to get it serviced and cleaned before I go! :biggrin::biggrin:

I did the course last summer, if anything my bike was too clean and well serviced (by me) I wished I brought along an old hack to tinker with.

Danny

Legendary Member
I have been thinking of doing the one day EBC course, but have been a little put off by the fact that it starts with very basic things like puncture repairs which I can do perfectly well.

The kind of things I would like to learn how to do, or learn how to do better are:
  • Replacing a bottom bracket
  • Removing my rear sprockets
  • Truing a wheel
Do the one day courses cover all this?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

HLaB said:
I did the course last summer, if anything my bike was too clean and well serviced (by me) I wished I brought along an old hack to tinker with.

My bike is a bit of a hack, but it is also my only bike and I need it for commuting to work. So I don't want to bu&&r the bike up! I assume they wouldn't let you leave with a dangerous bike?!

Top Bottom