Excellent birthday present

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
This was the course I done and it introduced you to those elements.
Sorry to be pedantic but what do you mean by "introduced".

I have done most jobs on my bike at one time or another, but find that some tasks, like replacing a bottom bracket, take far longer than they need to - and involve way too much frustration to make it enjoyable :biggrin:

I know that a lot of this is down to practice, but I would really like to be shown the most efficient way of doing these kind of jobs.

cannondale boy

Über Member
This is something i never really thought about. I've always taken my bike to the EBS to get a - deluxe service which costs £85. I've always thought that the price is a bit steep, but they do a good job.

If i go on the course £45, and get a tool kit for around £40 i'll saving the time and money of not going to EBS every year. :biggrin: (apart from getting the parts though).

Dannyg said:
Sorry to be pedantic but what do you mean by "introduced".

I have done most jobs on my bike at one time or another, but find that some tasks, like replacing a bottom bracket, take far longer than they need to - and involve way too much frustration to make it enjoyable :biggrin:

I know that a lot of this is down to practice, but I would really like to be shown the most efficient way of doing these kind of jobs.

If I recall right there wasn't enough time to go in to the detail but they showed how the bb replacement was done. They spent a bit more time on wheel truing, giving everyone a old wheel to play with and hub bearing adjustment.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
magnatom said:
I definitely need to go on this course as I have no idea what a crank puller and a chain whip are. At least I know what an allen key is :blush:

Don't forget a left handed spanner and a lancashire screwdriver

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Forgot Mags was in Edinburger.... lots of other shops to nip into if no parts...

I'd recommend the courses if you have no idea of what to do - I'm just lucky I'm mechanically minded and have even worked on my bikes as a kid - it's just second nature. Bikes do need looking after, and need regular tinkering to keep them tip top, especially a commuter which needs to be reliable and on the road every day - so extra attention needed.

It will save you a fortune. Only buy the tools when you need to replace or maintain certain bits - it's taken me years to have everything I need - the only thing I can't do is 'properly' press in headset races and build wheels, but can true them well - again something that takes practice.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
HLaB said:
If I recall right there wasn't enough time to go in to the detail but they showed how the bb replacement was done. They spent a bit more time on wheel truing, giving everyone a old wheel to play with and hub bearing adjustment.

You get to ask about anything you specifically want to know about, so they might do you a BB if you're nice :blush:

If you're really into wheel truing, they also do a wheel-building course which I assume will cover every aspect of truing that you could ever wish for. You even get to order up the parts and build your dream wheel to take away...

neslon

I went to the intensive course in Newcastle (fathers day) and it was excellent. As for tools, they have everything you need & that helps you decide what you need to buy (which bb tool etc). I wanted to change my cranks to Shimano Hollotech, so I bought them first & changed them there. Enjoy!

MERV

Magnatom!!! What is your helmet camera model again?

I know I asked this before but I lost the thread I asked it on...Cheers

I have an ATC 2000 but find it's a bit limited and a bit bulky to wear on my helmet.(oooer)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

fossyant said:
Forgot Mags was in Edinburger.... lots of other shops to nip into if no parts...

:?::eek::?:

I am Weegie through and through! I will, however, lower my standards for one day and pop over to the east coast for the course. I will of course be sure to have a deep clean when I get back to Glasgow...........:smile:

I wonder how well a shop called Edinburgh Bike coop would do in Glasgow.....:?:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Mmmmm. Maybe I could charge EBC for the filming and produce a DVD of their course.....:smile:

Merv have a look here http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5009

Second post.

The 404 is no longer available, but there is the 405. In some ways this is better as it has solid state memory instead of a hard disk recorder. This means that it can't hold as much, but it is less likely to be affected by bumps or vibration.

Top Bottom