Excercise induced headache

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone know how to get rid of it?

I went for a ride Sunday and after it I had a sort of background headache which didn't go but wasn't really a bother. Then on yesterdays ride, going up a hill, someone clamped my head in a vice. After that, whenever I stamped on the pedals the headache came back but faded when I reduced the effort.

It's still the same now. If i run up the stairs I can feel my head thump. I've taken a number of things but none of them seem to help. I've also seen a doctor before anyone asks. I'm pretty sure it's just to do with cycling. Never had it before. There is some stuff about it on the internet but some real world advice would be useful.

I'm not going to ride now until my head settles down but I'm just thinking about it coming back on the next ride.

adscrim

Veteran
I had a problem last winter where I was getting severe headaches while on the bike. After two visits to the doctor turned out I had a mild throat infection. The small amount of swelling this caused was aggrivated when I exercised and was pushing on nerves in my neck when in my riding position.

I was advised to take ibuprofen for the swelling with cocodamol for the pain - I went to the out of hours service while in pain, the doctor advised me to stop cycling until my throat cleared.

onlyhuman

Crackle said:

There is some stuff about it on the internet but some real world advice would be useful.

I'm not going to ride now until my head settles down but I'm just thinking about it coming back on the next ride.

Are you drinking enough water?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

onlyhuman said:
Are you drinking enough water?

Good question and I had thought of it. Before Wednesday's ride I drank a pint of water and drank a bottle on the way around. Didn't help.

Just to set the scene, I'm on a bit of a comeback and I suspect it's linked to this. Though I've been using a bike I've not done any serious road riding for 12 months. After just a few rides last week, I am quite tired and I suspect I just need to throttle back and recover properly before I venture out again. I'd just like to get rid of my woozy head in the meantime.

onlyhuman

Check the colour of your urine frequently. Drink enough water to keep it clear. Personally I find it difficult to drink enough plain water, so I drink pint glasses of Darjeeling tea.

Is it asymmetric? Perhaps focussed behind one eye? If so it could be a cluster headache. I get them when I'm knackered and sleep deprived, and as you describe, they increase with effort. Nurofen and rest.

Jonathan M

Crackle said:

I went for a ride Sunday and after it I had a sort of background headache which didn't go but wasn't really a bother. Then on yesterdays ride, going up a hill, someone clamped my head in a vice. After that, whenever I stamped on the pedals the headache came back but faded when I reduced the effort.

It's still the same now. If i run up the stairs I can feel my head thump. I've taken a number of things but none of them seem to help. I've also seen a doctor before anyone asks. I'm pretty sure it's just to do with cycling. Never had it before. There is some stuff about it on the internet but some real world advice would be useful.

What did the doctor say? Any other symptoms, altered vision, lethargy?

Any other incidents recently that made you go WTF? No head injury, or anything at all like that?

Sorry if any primary care colleagues read this, but first attendance you'll probably have been given reassurance, maybe a diagnosis of something or other relatively minor, but will have left with the request to "come back if it doesn't improve". Over how long? What if it improves slightly but doesn't clear completely?

Long story short, I had a"muzzy head" & lethargy from mid-february. Didn't improve or alter, saw a GP end of March - sinusitis. Given nasal spray, was told to return blah blah, and ended up being diagnosed with a brain tumour after a fit in June.

I'd be a little worried that the headache was mild then worsened suddenly on exertion, and that you describe the problem persisting since then. Did you GP consider the possibility of a small cerebral bleed???

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Jonathan M said:
What did the doctor say? Any other symptoms, altered vision, lethargy?

Any other incidents recently that made you go WTF? No head injury, or anything at all like that?

Sorry if any primary care colleagues read this, but first attendance you'll probably have been given reassurance, maybe a diagnosis of something or other relatively minor, but will have left with the request to "come back if it doesn't improve". Over how long? What if it improves slightly but doesn't clear completely?

Long story short, I had a"muzzy head" & lethargy from mid-february. Didn't improve or alter, saw a GP end of March - sinusitis. Given nasal spray, was told to return blah blah, and ended up being diagnosed with a brain tumour after a fit in June.

I'd be a little worried that the headache was mild then worsened suddenly on exertion, and that you describe the problem persisting since then. Did you GP consider the possibility of a small cerebral bleed???

Yes I take your point but there are no other symptoms and it definetly came on after excercise. What I'm slightly concerned at is the fact that none of my usual headache cures have worked on it. Right now I have it, just a sort of dull non-specific throb/ache.

I am about to 'phone a friend' as it just won't go, whilst at the same time not being bad. It could just be a form of migraine and I might just need something more powerful.

I am sorry to hear of the brain tumour, it is something I know about first hand. I wish you well with it and understand better a couple of your other posts now.

Jonathan M

Crackle, don't forget regular pain releif usage has been shown to cause/worsen headaches - odd, but there was some reserach earlier this year that showed this link.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Well shows how wrong you can be about something. Here's me thinking headache, exercise etc..

Last night the pain shifted around my ear and this morning my GP confirmed a slight ear infection of which the thumping head was probably a precursor.

I must admit to being slightly worried that the 'headache' wasn't shifiting despite knowing I had no other worrying symptoms. Your post did spook me a bit Jonathan.

Still hopefully it'll clear up with the application of some simple drops.

Jonathan M

If things do not improve within a week (maximum two weeks) then you must go back. Worsening of symptoms means a review ASAP.

It is 99.9% likely to be your ear infection, just take things easy on the bike while you are on treatment, don't wear yourself out and give your body chance to help fight the infection.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Well I thought I was well but I probably went out to soon. Got the headache which isn't one back today and generally felt rough after the ride.

When I got back I put one of those microwaveable wheat cushion on my head, which helped, sat down on the couch and promptly fell asleep sitting up.

When I woke up, I realized i couldn't feel my legs, began to panic, only to realize there was 40Kg of Labrador across my legs, phew!

Top Bottom