Excess cups

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I have to re-jog my kitchen cupbaords again soon so I'll have to get rid of any that aren't of sentimental value, and keep the rest.

It would be nice to have an old tea set, but no-one ever comes round for tea :sad: PLus I'd have nowhere nice to keep it

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It's not the appearing cups that should concern you, it's the disappearing teaspoons.

The case of the disappearing teaspoons: longitudinal cohort study of the displacement of teaspoons in an Australian research institute​

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1322240/

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
12 mugs and I live on my own. Most of them are 'special' ones that remind me of something or someone. One is particular to one of my kids who lives 5 mins away and visits often. I use one for most tea/coffee, using the others when I have visitors 😊☕👍

Last edited:
It's not the appearing cups that should concern you, it's the disappearing teaspoons.

The case of the disappearing teaspoons: longitudinal cohort study of the displacement of teaspoons in an Australian research institute​

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1322240/

I have observed this when I was a teacher in a High School
Teaspoons were a rare commodity - no matter how many were in the staff room drawer at the start of term after a few weeks we were reduced to stirring with a fork or knife
neither forks nor knives tended to dissappear

Mugs had the same problem - teachers brought their own personal mugs in but they didn;t tend to remain

one bloke was a local fell runner - quite well know locally - and he brought one in which was branded with the logo of his fell running club - and so was easily identifiable - still went missing
I took a really nice Wallace and Gromit mug in - strangely it lasted a few months but then went and a different W&G mug appeared

Every now and again Heads of Department were instructed to check all the cupboards and shelves in their department and return any mugs and spoons - which were then displayed in a big box so people could retreive their property
exactly why professional people with responsibily for the education and morals of youngs people chose to take otehr people's property was never investigated

However, back to the point, teaspoons were never recovered in any volume
at one point I bought about 20 that I saw cheap in a market
after about 3 weeks there were none left - that is a rate of over 1 a day!!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I have observed this when I was a teacher in a High School
Teaspoons were a rare commodity - no matter how many were in the staff room drawer at the start of term after a few weeks we were reduced to stirring with a fork or knife
neither forks nor knives tended to dissappear

Mugs had the same problem - teachers brought their own personal mugs in but they didn;t tend to remain

one bloke was a local fell runner - quite well know locally - and he brought one in which was branded with the logo of his fell running club - and so was easily identifiable - still went missing
I took a really nice Wallace and Gromit mug in - strangely it lasted a few months but then went and a different W&G mug appeared

Every now and again Heads of Department were instructed to check all the cupboards and shelves in their department and return any mugs and spoons - which were then displayed in a big box so people could retreive their property
exactly why professional people with responsibily for the education and morals of youngs people chose to take otehr people's property was never investigated

However, back to the point, teaspoons were never recovered in any volume
at one point I bought about 20 that I saw cheap in a market
after about 3 weeks there were none left - that is a rate of over 1 a day!!

From the study I linked:

The incidence of teaspoon loss over the period of observation was 360.62 per 100 teaspoon years. At this rate, an estimated 250 teaspoons would need to be purchased annually to maintain a practical institute-wide population of 70 teaspoons.

I have a silver teaspoon with George VI's monogram on the handle lurking among all the others in the cutlery drawer.

Picked it up for pennies on a jumble sale many moons ago. I suspect it is a long-lost escapee from a royal garden party. I bet the royal palaces lose teaspoons by the bucketload each year as people pocket a souvenir of the day.

Far too many to count and I keep sneaking ones out of the cupboard.
Kitchen would be far tidier if we didn't have basically half a cupboard dedicated to the mugs.

I take it all back. We have solar panels being fitted today so it's a cast of thousands and the mugs are getting a good outing. Remind me to get more sugar in next time we have work being done !

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
IMG_20230120_132619344.jpg

One of my favourites, a bit old and faded now due to aggressive dishwasher chemicals (square bit should be black) but the patina of use and age is rather suitable given the mugs pedigree. If you know, you'll know :okay:

stephec

Legendary Member
I have to confess to a recent impulse purchase of two Espresso mugs. We were gifted a “ Bean to Cup “ machine recently, and although we have a cupboard full of full sized mugs these mini ones looked the ideal size.

Double walled cups are great for espresso.

I used to use small cups but the coffee went cold quickly, then I found these and it stays hot now until I ve finished it.

IMG_20230120_150312.jpg

Top Bottom