Excess cups

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We have a set of six teacups not used in 70 years, plus six not used in 50+ years.

tom73

Guru
At work we don't have any no kettle either unless you count the water boiler in the staff room. But that's the one room your guarantied not to find any staff. At home we about 10 mostly used by me Mrs 73 only has them for hot chocolate. Glasses even less mostly pint ones acquired :whistle: on our trips to the pub.We only use the small cupboard for cups and stuff so keeps the numbers down. Every so often I go though them and they end up taking to work my Mrs73.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Sorry I was lumping cups in with mugs. I don't think I've seen a proper tea cup for years. And does anyone still use saucers?

I do have a complete tea service which was a wedding present and has saucers of course. Never been used for years but cannot bring myself to stick it in the charity shop.
We sold a variety of mugs in our shop so have plenty of those. Two of them are used regularly and others brought out for visitors. There are few a strange ones which came in a barter deal with Dunoon Ceramics who had a stand opposite us at trade fairs for years.

presta

Guru
There's a four place-setting crockery set in the sideboard which never gets used, then I have five of these Arcoroc mugs which I drink from:
il_1588xN.342557140.jpg

I think there's a Beamish souvenir mug somewhere too.

Far too many to count and I keep sneaking ones out of the cupboard.
Kitchen would be far tidier if we didn't have basically half a cupboard dedicated to the mugs.

Umm... I have a collection of football mugs and a collection of mugs with cats on them. Mind, most of those are all packed away up on the loft. There's eight mugs in the kitchen cupboard, which is fine. Five of them have cats on them.

But I do love my vintage crockery, and have a credenza full of tea sets, dinner sets, mis-matched stuff and funky trios. :blush:

And yes, I do use them.

Gwylan

Veteran
I was just having a chat with my colleague about the number of cups we have in the office. When we returned after Covid we had a clear out and threw away about 30 cups! Our office has only ever held 12 people.

I also have about 15 cups at home, of which I only use about 4.

How many cups do you have, and does anyone else's collection seem to grow and grow?

We only have mugs for everyday. One design. About 20. Shabytat the design was fashionable 50 years ago when we started
Keep using them until there are none or the dishwasher is full.
There are 2 of us.

Then there are the people that insist on buying us pairs of matching mugs that don't match the approved house design. They generally get a quick trip to a charity shop. Don't tell Lorraine.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have to confess to a recent impulse purchase of two Espresso mugs. We were gifted a “ Bean to Cup “ machine recently, and although we have a cupboard full of full sized mugs these mini ones looked the ideal size.

The number you need depend a lot of on factor
Some people insist on a clean cup for every cuppa - hence needing quite a few cups overall
My parents used to end up with the top tray of the dishwasher just full of cups by the time it was necessary to put it on

personally I just rinse/wipe out the old one and use it for the whole day then it gets washed the next morning when the dishwasher goes on

As far as numbers are concerned this means that we need 4-6 in normal use as the dishwasher goes on most days - that leave a couple spare for the days that it doesn;t go on

We also have a few extra for visitors and workmen(sorry people if we every get a workperson who is female - hasn't happened yet at home but has at work!) but those are different so we can tell which our ours

Oh - and 2 travel mugs to use in the car when we go on long trips/holiday

Top Bottom