Excessive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Finally got to check out the bikes at the dump yesterday. Enormous pile of junk.
Except for a Specialized Tricross, about my size. £200 at the dump? Geez...
Not in good nick either. Would probably take a couple of hours just to clean it, let alone fettle it.
Did you buy it anyway?

Went for a ride this morning and decided it might be summery enough to risk the path going round the back of the Airport
Problems with it is that it gets very overgrown with brambles later in the summer - and there are long stretches that can be 6-12 inches deep in mud even in dry spells - hence in winter it is impassable on a bike unless you are really crazy and love washing bikes!

Anyway the whole route was clear - and only one area with any mud and someone has beaten a path through the undergrowth around that but - which helps

I also didn't even take a jumper with me - just hi-vis jacket and a t-shirt. I got too hot after a bit and did the rest of the ride in just a t-shirt!!
Oh - and trousers etc - clearly

actually I could have done with breaking out the shorts - which also helps with climate change due to the sudden increase in sunlight being reflected back into space!

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Our tip has big signs up saying you can't fish stuff out of the dumpster- it's theft - or take stuff left in the big cages either. I've seen decent bikes and scooters etc dumped in the scrap bit. Such a shame. One of the staff once told me that they aren't allowed to have the stuff either and he had seen loads of people dumping items that were new and unused but they weren't allowed to touch them. Our dump has a sign saying a shop will be opening soon so I'll be interested to see what's in it.

Anyway, saved a bike from a skip the other week. Asked the skip owner first obviously. Argos bike that was sold for around £100. I was walking with a friend whose daughter needs a new bike when we saw it so it worked out perfectly.

It varies by tip. Ours has a shop, as does the bigger one at Okehampton. Once upon a time, I was allowed my pick of the electricals, as I was registered with them as an electrician, but that's no longer allowed. Hasn't stopped me from "rescuing" a couple of perfectly good laptops, though...

The sales area at my local tip only has two bikes for sale currently - everything else that was there during lockdown has been shifted, even the Reebok-branded BSO that they were flogging for £70...

Their usual prices range between £15 and £30 for a bike.

All they currently have are a kiddies looks-like-a-motorcycle bike and a Raleigh Twenty that needs a fair bit of TLC.

Top Bottom