Excuse me, I need to vent some spleen...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Many of you will know, this happens everyso often. Yet again, the lady in the attic (who happens to be American, but that's not relevant really) has caused me a rise in blood pressure, and if I don't rant here among friends, some innocent person is going to get their head bitten off...

Story so far:

Due to inspection by a fire officer, and the need to rearrange some reference material, the attic room I used to inhabit has been undergoing some moving about of stuff - something I got paid to help arrange. I haven't been up there for a while, but I heard that this lady - let's call her Rose, it's her name - had brought in a microwave. There's always been a kettle up there anyway.

However, the microwave is banned. Apart from the University's general dislike of electrical equipment that hasn't been tested, we here at King's Manor have the added frisson of a timber framed grade 1 listed building to take account of. The kettle is alright, because it has auto cut off, and kettle fires are virtually unheard of, but microwaves in any old room are not allowed, which I think is sensible. On being told this, in an update email to all who work in the room, sent by my boss, Rose has responded:

"Is it then possible to have a microwave put into the Common room? Re-warmed beverages and actual hot food are SO much more digestable--and affordable to those of us spending L20,000 a year with no hope of funding or other income. Not to mention convenient for those who dislike walking any great distance."

So, once again, the lady with property in the States, who made the choice to come here, who withheld her fees for one year because she got a bee in her bonnet about her supervisor not doing all her work for her, and whose creepy husband apparently seems unemployable even by B and Q on pensioner's day, is playing the money card. Funny, how I managed to live very well on my £13,000 grant, even saved a couple of grand over 3 years, and now plan to live adequately on around £10,000 p/a, without whining about needing a microwave on my desk. Everything is money to her - a book is never just "a book", it's a "$50 book", the cost of everything is mentioned and moaned about. And then there's the disability card - yes, she needs a stick to walk, and I'm sorry for that, but she makes more fuss about it than people I've known who are much worse off, and much more cheerful.

I sent off a 'reply to all' email reminding her that there is indeed a microwave in the postgrad workroom - which isn't quite the common room she's thinking of, but is about 20 yards further away across the next courtyard. I restrained myself from adding a recipe for cous cous, which requires only a kettle to cook. I think she's allergic to wheat anyway.

<and breathe>

Sorry. I just had to rant to someone and you are all such good listeners. On the plus side, I just had an emminently digestible prawn cocktail roll for lunch, having found a pot of it reduced to 50p to clear in Sainsburys yesterday - an unaccustomed luxury :biggrin:

byegad

Legendary Member
Hope you feel better Arch.

abchandler

Arch said:
Re-warmed beverages and actual hot food are SO much more digestable--

I should ask her for the scientific evidence to back this up. Posters on here wouldn't be allowed to get away with statements like that:biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
abchandler said:
I should ask her for the scientific evidence to back this up. Posters on here wouldn't be allowed to get away with statements like that:biggrin::biggrin:

And what's the deal with this 're-warmed beverages' crap? You make a hot drink with a kettle, you drink it before it goes cold, you make another. It ain't that hard... If you must, you can add a dash of boiling water to bring it back to warm.

Sorry, went off again there for a minute... Will get on with replacing my vented spleen back in my abdomen...

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Ahhh the guilty pleasure that is the yellow label treat!

I had a friend years ago who used to collect the bread and cakes that our local bakers threw out at the end of day. Once a week we would have a grand 'high tea' and free toast for a week! Them were t'days, before Supermarkets locked their bins.......................

As for the American broad, you must rise above her complaints she sounds ghastly. I was married, briefly, to an American who 'loved it here in England' but complained ceaselessly about how bizarre and antiquated everything was compared to the States.
You can probably guess why that relationship went down the plughole!

T x

medals

Well, at least you don't have to look in the mirror and see her face every morning.
You've also had a nice roll and she probabaly hasn't. :smile:

I've noticed, and I can only speak from my experience, that Americans who I speak to in America are very nice. But the few I've met who are over here are, well, how can I put it? Loud mouths!
Maybe they feel vunerable in the presence of us British and over compensate. Understandable.:biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
tdr1nka said:
As for the American broad, you must rise above her complaints she sounds ghastly. I was married, briefly, to an American who 'loved it here in England' but complained ceaselessly about how bizarre and antiquated everything was compared to the States.

T x

That's just it! Everything here is apparently wrong... Yet apparently the States is ghastly too.

I'm getting to be a right reduced-to-clear gourmet. My local Morrisons has very good pickings - I think it's to do with being quite new, they maybe haven't quite got the ordering settled yet. I can generally rely on finding some cheap bread rolls, and one or two useful chilled items - sometimes it's lunches for the week, for a pound or so..

The highlight of the weekend before last was finding a box of 2 chocolate choux buns in Sainsburys, for 70p. A choux bun never tasted finer, than when at half price...:biggrin: (and of course, if it's half price, it's only half the calories;))

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think you're just being unnecessarily nasty to one our American cousins, Arch. From what I've read about her in the past, she seems a thoroughly good sort and doesn't deserve the bad press she gets. :biggrin::evil:

ps. I think you should extend the hand of friendship and take this opportunity to grasp her warmly by the throat.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I suspect the 'dislike walking any great distance' line is the nub of it here. I'm currently in an office with a fridge and a kettle, eating my habitual lunch. Rolls with things spread on them - cottage cheese and pineapple on one, pate on t'other. I seem to be able to digest them (as my waistline will attest:sad:).

Some people.:biggrin:

Hope you feel better soon. Virtual hug from my general direction.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
medals said:
Well, at least you don't have to look in the mirror and see her face every morning.
You've also had a nice roll and she probabaly hasn't. :smile:

I've noticed, and I can only speak from my experience, that Americans who I speak to in America are very nice. But the few I've met who are over here are, well, how can I put it? Loud mouths!
Maybe they feel vunerable in the presence of us British and over compensate. Understandable.:biggrin:

To be fair, I know some really lovely American students in the department. Quiet (or at least, not overly loud), generous, lovely people. It's just this one....

tdr1nka said:
complained ceaselessly about how bizarre and antiquated everything was compared to the States.You can probably guess why that relationship went down the plughole!
Did she include you in that statement? :laugh::biggrin:

No microwaves? Pah, it's H&S gawn maaaaaad! They'll be banning pancake races next...:smile:

Sorry, been in Soapbox. Any chance of a cuppa?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
I suspect the 'dislike walking any great distance' line is the nub of it here. I'm currently in an office with a fridge and a kettle, eating my habitual lunch. Rolls with things spread on them - cottage cheese and pineapple on one, pate on t'other. I seem to be able to digest them (as my waistline will attest:sad:).

Some people.:smile:

Hope you feel better soon. Virtual hug from my general direction.

Cottage cheese and pineapple, pate... Mmmmmm. Can I come round for lunch? Two of my most favouritest things.... Virtual hug accepted. Anyway, I'm still giggling from that improvised dalek in the tea thread...:laugh:

Yes, I suspect she doesn't want to come all the way over to the workroom. Although, it would give her an even greater audience for her moans and groans - all the others who work up there with her are probably plugged into their headphones ignoring her...

Partly why, I admit, I sent the reply email telling her about the microwave over here in a single calm sentence. I know everyone else on the list will be able to imagine the tone of my voice...:biggrin:

Top Bottom