Exercise Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thommo74

I've started doing a cycling training programme I found on t'Internet. I do a lot of riding on the roads (commute to the station every day), plus weekend rides when I can but I've decided to do this programme on an exercise bike at the gym.

I know you can't really compare an exercise bike with riding on the road like for like (no wind resistance for a start) but what does everyone else think about doing this. The main reason I've decided on doing it this way is that you can basically ride without interruption (no traffic lights, junctions, other vehicles, etc.) Another reason is to minimise the wear and tear on the bike. I know there's no real substitution for being on the road though.

By the way, I've started recording everything I do (miles done, times, average speeds. etc.) on a spreadsheet and tonight I started doing graphs. Is this obsessive? Ha ha - look forward to seeing some responses.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I log all my rides on mycyclinglog and set myself goals etc on there too!

if your worried about traffic etc maybe a turbo trainer would be better as you get to carry on using your own bike for it!

OP
OP
T

thommo74

Checked that turbo out. I thought it'd be something like that the minute I clicked post. :wacko: Out of interest, other than you being able to train on your own bike, how is a turbo better that an exercise bike? Is it the feel of the riding as i know the exercise bike fees a bit synthetic. Still knacked after a good session though.

doctornige

Checked that turbo out. I thought it'd be something like that the minute I clicked post. :wacko: Out of interest, other than you being able to train on your own bike, how is a turbo better that an exercise bike? Is it the feel of the riding as i know the exercise bike fees a bit synthetic. Still knacked after a good session though.

Much depends on the exercise bike. I used one in a gym recently and it was nothing like riding a real bike (position, resistance, the lot), and it was brutally difficult. Crap saddle too. Some of the spin class bikes I have seen photos of look like they feature more of a road position.

N.

doctornige

Yes.
Time spent recording cycling data, like recording any other sort of data, will not improve your general fitness:biggrin:

I disagree to a point. I record pedometer steps and bike calories, plus body weight, BP, HR and waist. Having something to focus on and being aware of expenditure versus input has enabled me to drop 5kg in since mid July. My wife and I compete for pedo steps, and the whole exercise has had pretty good results. Once I reach my target weight, I will relax it a bit, but having a vague idea of your calorie balance is sort of sensible.

karl61

hi all, i have an exercise bike and a tt, i find the exercise bike ok for calorie burning as most ex bikes, you cannot get enough resistance, and if i use the tt it's totally different,a thigh burning lung busting workout. but have too agree, no substitute for my road bike, where everything is chucked in.

Top Bottom