exmoor beast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nasawing

Thanks for your advice (on this and the other thread) - really apreciated. :thumbsup:

You know, reading some of the discussion about dates and clashes, its struck me that there's something a bit contradictory about the question of whether anyone would plan an event to clash 'for financial reasons'. Surely thats the last thing anyone would deliberately do? Afterall, regardless of which event gets the most registrations, the organiser would always lose some riders to the other event, and that would mean loss of revenue! Surely they'll always at least try at least to find a clear weekend? (not withstanding all of the other logistics that organising something as complex as this must entail...?)

Far more likely to me it seems is, like Baggy says, that there's simply only so many weekends in a year - and if they all become full of events which we have to choose between, then the only winners are us! ...I feel like a child in a sweet shop... (ie, spoilt for choice, not in a Mr Glitter kind of way )

:becool:

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it. Off onto the tarmac later this evening...

Threelionsbrian

Thanks for your advice (on this and the other thread) - really apreciated. :thumbsup:

You know, reading some of the discussion about dates and clashes, its struck me that there's something a bit contradictory about the question of whether anyone would plan an event to clash 'for financial reasons'. Surely thats the last thing anyone would deliberately do? Afterall, regardless of which event gets the most registrations, the organiser would always lose some riders to the other event, and that would mean loss of revenue! Surely they'll always at least try at least to find a clear weekend? (not withstanding all of the other logistics that organising something as complex as this must entail...?)

Far more likely to me it seems is, like Baggy says, that there's simply only so many weekends in a year - and if they all become full of events which we have to choose between, then the only winners are us! ...I feel like a child in a sweet shop... (ie, spoilt for choice, not in a Mr Glitter kind of way )

:becool:

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it. Off onto the tarmac later this evening...

The annoyance with the clashes is the lack of choice if two events are on the same day at the same time! The Devil could never challenge the Beast financially or numerically but is probably the perfect warm up for the beast. Sadly now that is not an option. Moving the beast forward a week also improves the weather chances a little also improving entries hence extra £. I was saddened when the classic moved and clashed with the force ride. Has anyone spotted the link or is it just coincidence?
This is my opinion and as this is a forum surely debate is healthy if civilised.

Lance Substrong

The annoyance with the clashes is the lack of choice if two events are on the same day at the same time! The Devil could never challenge the Beast financially or numerically but is probably the perfect warm up for the beast. Sadly now that is not an option. Moving the beast forward a week also improves the weather chances a little also improving entries hence extra £. I was saddened when the classic moved and clashed with the force ride. Has anyone spotted the link or is it just coincidence?
This is my opinion and as this is a forum surely debate is healthy if civilised.

Threelinesbrian states he "was saddened when the classic moved and clashed with the force ride." He then adds "Has anybody spotted the link or is it just coincidence?"

Well I haven't spotted a link and can't therefore answere the question regarding the possibility of it being just coincidence. However my curiousity has been aroused by his question and would love to discover what the link is. Then perhaps I could give an opinion on the coincidence aspect.

Hopefully Threelinesbrian will now post a reply uncovering the mystery and put us all in the picture.

Threelionsbrian

Threelinesbrian states he "was saddened when the classic moved and clashed with the force ride." He then adds "Has anybody spotted the link or is it just coincidence?"

Well I haven't spotted a link and can't therefore answere the question regarding the possibility of it being just coincidence. However my curiousity has been aroused by his question and would love to discover what the link is. Then perhaps I could give an opinion on the coincidence aspect.

Hopefully Threelinesbrian will now post a reply uncovering the mystery and put us all in the picture.

As keen as some people are to clash with other local events i would be very surprised to see the Dartmoor Classic and the Exmoor Beast clash, no matter how much decent weather would enhance the Beast.

Marcus Di-Vincenzo

HI All

Im Marcus the organiser of the Beast. Just to say thanks for some of the words on the forum, we do try to please all. Clashes as you al agree cant be helped, theres 190 or so events on the calendar now, thats more than there is Sundays.

We do it for the right reasons also, not just to make money but to get bikes on the road and also raise some money while we are at it. This year its for a young ladies drugs to stay alive against Cancer so she can see her kids grow up for a little while longer.

Thanks for taking the time to write and I hope to see you there in the fantastic warm dry day we know it will be

Marcus

Threelionsbrian

Marcus, i hope you have a good day and hope your charity event raises lots of money for the young lady. I was on about local clashes obviously. I wasn't intending to ride either event this year but last year i thought seriously about riding both, it seems that is a thing of the past if the clash remains. I expect there were quite a few with the same plan.

I applaud any measure that gets people out on their bikes and have no axe to grind with any event it just seems like you have a good product but are looking for a better weather slot. The Devil slot tends to attract it's fair share of weather though.

Nasawing

[QUOTE 1157620"]
Well then I have just signed up for the 100k, so I had better get my lazy, just back from a fortnights holiday in France lazy arse in gear :wacko:
[/quote]

Have you been ballasted with lots of fine cheese and wine then??!

Only 8 weeks to go!!! I had a nose at the site today and pre-registrations are already well over the 600 mark. Any other posters here going to be coming along?

vorsprung

Veteran
I nearly entered the Exmoor Beast last year as I wanted to get a 100 miles in and thought it might be nice
But the event was "full" when I went to look, never mind
As it turned out I would have wasted my time because they canceled the 100 mile version due to the weather

To get the 100 miles in I rode to the start of the Dartmoor Devil 100km audax, did the ride and then got a lift back

OP
OP
sarahpink

sarahpink

im going to enter this with a friend:
biggrin.gif

Marcus Di-Vincenzo

Hi

Marcus again for ThreelionsBrian

Sorry for the delay but I have been away. I am very sorry that we have clashed with the Devil, it wasn't my intention and I have been hacked off in the past when sportives crop up and clash with us. The best is on the same weekend as last year to be fair no change. it was on the 1st Nov last year and its on the 31st of Oct this year so its actually only one day.

If i was to be completely honest and I mean to be, i didn't check or think because as far as i was concerned it was the same weekend, i will however check and talk to the Devil for next year and also ensure we help each other with the entries.

So hands up from me on that one, but one question to throw to the floor, if this sportive thing keeps growing what is going to happen? We cant fit anymore in surely, will only the toughest survive? We don't do it just for the money and as i stated we also do part for charity but to do a sportive safely and well it costs well over 30K.

What say you guys?

Entries going well

Threelionsbrian

Hi

Marcus again for ThreelionsBrian

Sorry for the delay but I have been away. I am very sorry that we have clashed with the Devil, it wasn't my intention and I have been hacked off in the past when sportives crop up and clash with us. The best is on the same weekend as last year to be fair no change. it was on the 1st Nov last year and its on the 31st of Oct this year so its actually only one day.

If i was to be completely honest and I mean to be, i didn't check or think because as far as i was concerned it was the same weekend, i will however check and talk to the Devil for next year and also ensure we help each other with the entries.

So hands up from me on that one, but one question to throw to the floor, if this sportive thing keeps growing what is going to happen? We cant fit anymore in surely, will only the toughest survive? We don't do it just for the money and as i stated we also do part for charity but to do a sportive safely and well it costs well over 30K.

What say you guys?

Entries going well

Marcus thanks for the reply, as i said no axe to grind and if genuine oversights(works both ways) these things happen. It was just it looked to me like another "big guy stomping" on the little guy sort of scenario especially after last years horrendous conditions. I let a earlier post wind me up and jumped in. I sincerely hope you get better weather and it is another big success. I just hope more of the local clashes can be avoided especially where it is the same type of riders that are likely to be involved. I was up in your mountains last week and they nearly killed me off so i'll have to lose a few stone before i have a go at taming the beast.

In answer to your question, IMO if an events identity is appealing enough to the riders they will come back, finance permitting. The poorer organised ones will soon get found out.

Nasawing

[QUOTE 1157627"]
If I was running one of these things, well I would just pick a weekend and go for it. Everything clashes with something.

If you did the weekend before it would clash with the KIMM wouldn't it? (Or whatever they call the KIMM nowadays) I tend to race pretty much the whole orienteering season, so any weekend would clash with something or other. Then there is the cyclocross season, the football and rugby seasons, hockey. The summer has more events, cricket blah blah blah You would never get a 'clash-free' weekend, especially as cyclists are the type to enjoy most sports in my experience.

Maybe a system needs to be bought in, similar to the regional Orienteering Federation or British Cycling arrangements, and the agreement is no clashes within a region on any given weekend?

A bigger clash this year was surely the Exmouth Exodus/Dartmoor Classic?

More importantly, have you flattened out that sodding route? I'm still feeling the effects of the holiday a bit :blush:
[/quote]

Hahaha! Now I'm feeling guilty about the large Ruby Murray I polished off tonight ;-) . Mind you Maggot, look on the bright side, the weight of out bellies should help on the downhill sections at least.

Well, at least it sounds like the conspiracy theories have been straightened out.

(Quick question for Marcus! - does anyone win a special prize if they spot The Exmoor Beast whilst RIDING the Exmoor Beast???!!! )

One last Newb question which I hope doesn't sound too stupid - but ought I to bring some lights? I'm, not sure what time I can realistically expect to come in, and I'm aware as well that I'm not sure what time it'll get dark come the 31st - so if I hit any delays on route, I don't want to end up flattening someone (or being flattened!)...

Top Bottom