exmoor beast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lance Substrong

In defining a sportive as: "An event which delivers the professional racing experience - without the racing.", I think what the originator of the statement was trying to say was, not that you could go mad on open roads, but that the experience was a lot more than you'd get on an unorganised ride.

In a professionally staged sportive: -
You sign-on at the start. You have to display your rider number. You line up at the start and depart in a big bunch, Your riding time is being recorded, You don't need to take a map because often a route card is provided and it is way-marked and marshalled. There are feeeding stations (although not zones were musettes are handed-up). There are back-up vehicles - motos, technical support, paramedics, broom wagons. You cross the finishing line, The riders' times are published. There are ride completion rewards.

Nasawing

Ok Ian - my appols if I misunderstood. I'm new to all of this (and as a result, highly enthusiastic). Mind you, lets see if I'm so sanguine after the weekend!

Thanks to all for tips and advice in this and the other threads.

To all those taking part - good luck, have fun and maybe see you for a pint after!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Ok Ian - my appols if I misunderstood. I'm new to all of this (and as a result, highly enthusiastic). Mind you, lets see if I'm so sanguine after the weekend!

Thanks to all for tips and advice in this and the other threads.

To all those taking part - good luck, have fun and maybe see you for a pint after!

Have a good one. I shall be grinding my way around Dartmoor. The weather's looking a bit iffy,

Fattman

Another choice, which was featured today in the Exmoor Beast Chronicle, relates to the ford which crosses the road after the first part of the Dunkery Beacon climb. Should you risk falling off by attempting to ride through it or take advantage of the nearby footbridge? Anybody got any experience or advice on this one?

FWIW, I have seen people scoot happily across the ford and others scoot happily halfway - to end up on their arses/sides/backs in the middle. If you've got silky bike handling skills (I haven't!) you could chance it but 70 miles with your shoes full of river water might be pretty unpleasant.

Something I would flag up and I think could possibly do with a little more highlighting (Marcus, if you're still following this?) is the cattle grid further back near the bottom of the same climb. It's under trees and on a gradient and vicious slippery and we saw a lot of people hitting the deck last year. I reckon it could be the scene of something nasty cos of the way you could snag an arm in the grid and crack a bone. Getting off and walking round is definitely an option here (you probably won't be going at much more than walking pace at that point anyhow!)

Both those are just comments on two gotchas in an otherwise pretty singular event. That Dunkery climb is a bugger anyways, and with the heavy Autumnal Exmoor weather it is a great physical and mental challenge - enjoy!

Matt

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
FWIW, I have seen people scoot happily across the ford and others scoot happily halfway - to end up on their arses/sides/backs in the middle. If you've got silky bike handling skills (I haven't!) you could chance it but 70 miles with your shoes full of river water might be pretty unpleasant.

Something I would flag up and I think could possibly do with a little more highlighting (Marcus, if you're still following this?) is the cattle grid further back near the bottom of the same climb. It's under trees and on a gradient and vicious slippery and we saw a lot of people hitting the deck last year. I reckon it could be the scene of something nasty cos of the way you could snag an arm in the grid and crack a bone. Getting off and walking round is definitely an option here (you probably won't be going at much more than walking pace at that point anyhow!)

Both those are just comments on two gotchas in an otherwise pretty singular event. That Dunkery climb is a bugger anyways, and with the heavy Autumnal Exmoor weather it is a great physical and mental challenge - enjoy!

Matt

Spartak