Exmouth Exodus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
I'm thinking the only practical option is to drive to Bristol with bike, park there, Stoke Bishop if there's nowhere in Clifton, then leave the bike in Exmouth afterwards, train to Bristol and back to Exmouth by car to pick up the bike. Fortunately I should have a secure bike parking option in Exmouth.

If anyone else who lives along the route fancies a bit of devious car use to improve on that PM me!

The only other option would be to ride back to Taunton afterwards from Exmouth, but that would mean a total of about 135 miles and I'm not convinced I'd make it! (It would be a lifetime PB distance for a single ride too, beating one from 42 years ago...)

david1701

I live in Bude so need to drive to Exeter to get a train to Bristol anyway so suspect I'll get a group together with a driver for pickup and dropoff

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
I live in Bude so need to drive to Exeter to get a train to Bristol anyway so suspect I'll get a group together with a driver for pickup and dropoff

I'm up for chipping in for that! I'll be driving from south london with room for one more bike if anyone wants a lift.

Alberto

Anyone from London taking the train to Bristol on the Sat evening and back Sunday morning from Exeter? If 3 or 4 were interested we could perhaps get a group 4 save (50% off)?

Glover Fan

Wow, 162 reckon they will be participating so far! It will be a truly epic night I am very excited! I am also fully prepped as well, got my lights, bib tights and gloves all ready. I really do hope it will be dry but will be there rain or moon shine.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
:ohmy: 162 already! We're going to need a lot of teabags...

We're riding the route recce on the 6th August, so the new route should be online the week before the ride.

I notice on the website that FGW have said you need to book a bike space and they'll try to add more bike capacity to trains that weekend (for those without the luxury of a camper van! :biggrin:) - wonder how that will work out?

Trickydicky

Well looks like im doin it then, what are the groups like then pace wise?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Groups form that cover the whole range of cycling speeds and abilities, so most people fall into a group that suits them at some point. I think most people also end up riding alone at some point, too.

Glover Fan

I wouldn't worry too much about pace, I've never ridden at night before, but am thinking you won't be able to go as fast as in daylight because of visibility. Descents will definitely be a lot slower!

marvin

Hi there. I've only just heard about this and it sounds like great fun.

My only worry is if I can do it. I have only ever cycled 55 miles before now (Bristol to Cardiff). How big a step up will this be?

Davidc

Guru
:ohmy: 162 already! We're going to need a lot of teabags...

We're riding the route recce on the 6th August, so the new route should be online the week before the ride.

I notice on the website that FGW have said you need to book a bike space and they'll try to add more bike capacity to trains that weekend (for those without the luxury of a camper van! :biggrin:) - wonder how that will work out?

I've tried FGW and XC again - no change, no spaces. It's going to be a load of driving instead.

Some serious practice is called for next week. I've got the week free so no excuses!

Glover Fan

Hi there. I've only just heard about this and it sounds like great fun.

My only worry is if I can do it. I have only ever cycled 55 miles before now (Bristol to Cardiff). How big a step up will this be?
The route is going to be ridiculously flat (for the westcountry at least), apart from 3 climbs which are not massive by any stretch of the imagination, the worst one will be the first as well at Burrington Coombe. Also they have long flat bits spread out between them. The only concern I have is if we have a strong headwind. Before I did my first 100 the furthest I had gone was about 70 miles. It will be a challenge, but provided you cycle regularly I think you will be OK.

Have been looking at the 10 day forecasts already. Sunny every day for the next 10 days. Except next Saturday.:rain:

Top Bottom