Exmouth Exodus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Good to see there will be somemore familiar faces coming along.

Hopefully the teastop won't go into meltdown with that many people...

Channings should be able to cope, though agree it's going to be packed if that many really do turn out! Big Dave will hopefully be at the start early, but donations for routesheets etc can be dropped with us at any of the tea stops.

david1701

we can refill water at the tea stop right? wanted to check as me and a mate did calculation and needed 10 liters each

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
we can refill water at the tea stop right? wanted to check as me and a mate did calculation and needed 10 liters each
That's a litre every 10 miles...which sounds a bit excessive - surely you'll be nipping behind every available hedge at that rate of intake :biggrin:

There will be water at the first tea stop.
There's unlimited water at North Curry.
There should be water at the second tea stop, but we don't usually get there until about 4.30am - it all depends what time we get away from Cheddar etc

david1701

well his estimate was 1l/hour + some lee way

also potentially backing out due to illness as I'm coughing like a bitch and 100 dark miles worries me :s

Glover Fan

So, today's the day.

Did a quick 8 miles about 9.30pm last night. The moonlight was good, but BBC are saying cloud tonight. Thankfully it looks like no rain forecast.

My decision on what to wear is proving to be quite a difficult one. I wore biblongs, baselayer and windproof last night and was sweating through when I wasn't even trying. So plan of action now I think is bibshorts, baselayer and windproof. Think i'm gonna go for fingerless gloves as well, only forecast to go as low as 12 degrees.

Lights are bob on, really impressed with the smart lunar 35's, but you definately need 2 of them. Have got 20AA batteries, so shouldn't be a problem keeping lit tonight. I am not going to fit the mudguards, can't be bothered and forecast looks good.

Had an OK sleep, but felt a bit like a kid on Christmas eve, so was a little disturbed, but got 8 hours in. Have been off coffee for a week (caffeine withdrawal is evil) so should be alright tonight, but already feel a bit tired, so may nap this afternoon.

The weirdest part is waiting all day to go out on a big ride.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Good luck to everyone taking part. The weather's misty and drizzly near Taunton and horribly muggy at the moment so I hope it clears up before tonight.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
OK here in Bristol ... I can see the balloons from my window so the conditions can't be too windy out there.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
We've just got in! :tired:

Firstly a HUGE thank you to User76 for tracking down a gas bottle vendor at short notice and for his sterling assistance as teasmade :thumbsup:

Think we caught the last third of the field at the Smeatharpe/Luppit (including the girl in green) in time to give them tea.

Another top night - look forward to hearing everyone's stories.

Davidc

Guru
Thanks to Baggy for the Ibuprofen and tea - not quite strong enough to rescue my knee, but enjoyed the ride up to where it completely gave out after 70 miles at Blagdon village!

(The knee has now gone down to normal size again, but car recovery from Bristol wasn't much fun...)

I suspect that I probably don't have the riding position set perfectly, so a lot of attention to that, and some long hilly rides to test me and that, and all being well I'll be back next year to do it properly!

I think it'll be next weekend before I'm back riding again, and then gently, unfortunately.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Thanks to Baggy for the Ibuprofen and tea - not quite strong enough to rescue my knee, but enjoyed the ride up to where it completely gave out after 70 miles at Blagdon village!

(The knee has now gone down to normal size again, but car recovery from Bristol wasn't much fun...)

I suspect that I probably don't have the riding position set perfectly, so a lot of attention to that, and some long hilly rides to test me and that, and all being well I'll be back next year to do it properly!

I think it'll be next weekend before I'm back riding again, and then gently, unfortunately.

Ouch, hope you feel better soon.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Saturday after lunch I started washing a couple of bikes, and fettling the PBP machine, which I had thought of riding on the Exodux. However, it was still in bits when time ran out, so I chose the fixed as being nearest to the same position.

I was slightly late meeting JW at Taunton. He was there fiddling with an inner tube having earlier had a puncture. We set off up the A38 to Bridgwater, then across the Levels, deciding on Shipham as the most straightforward way over the Mendips. JW then took over with an interesting gps track into Bristol, involving balloon festival traffic queues, hidden cyclepaths, a bit of off-road and a final climb up Park Street.

With an hour to go there were already loads of cyclists in Channings gardens. It took even longer for food to arrive (they'd run out of mayonnaise), so we didn't start till around 20 past nine, followed almost immediately by a stop to change the gps batteries. We rolled through Bristol on a disconcertingly northern path before finding the motorway bridge (whoops! The track's disappeared - and shouts from behind. Must concentrate).

We were soon overhauling slower groups and making a good pace. This ceased to be the case, for me at least, as we hit the cllimb to Cheddar Gorge. I wheezed and winched upwards. Another cyclist came alongside breathing as if he was about to die, but it was only Mike taking the piss. Then the descent, taking care not to ground a pedal on the bends, and suddenly lights and people milling. I said hello, was awestruck by Mr Gates's beard, and Baggy filled my bidon.

Felt ok, so set off - perhaps a mistake, for within a few miles I was fighting sleep. This lasted until North Curry, where tea and GB's excellent stew revived me - that and twenty minutes shut-eye in a chair. When I awoke there was a queue stretching to the door. Off again, leading a trio back to the main road where they dropped me. A little while later they passed me again, just before Blagdon.

It was beginning to tell, that I hadn't ridden the fixed in anger for more than a year. My back was painful as a levered my way up through Blagdon village. Through Smeatharpe and along the ridge road - no sign yet of the food stop, but they'd warned that they'd be late getting away from Cheddar. At which point I decided I'd had enough. There were only familiar roads to the unlovely town of Exmouth to go and I was feeling sleepy again, so I diverted through Wrangway and plummeted down to home.

E went back to sleep once she'd ascertained I wasn't a burglar. I had a bath and joined her. Garmin says 264km in around 13 hrs - kill or cure for the big event next week.

Thanks to Dave, Chuffy, Baggy, Graham, Andy and everyone else who organised. It looked like hard work. Hope it was fun.

Top Bottom