Expense versus keeping warm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
dhb bib longs as the earlier type said, I got the 2006 ones for £18 and they're excellent, can't fault them, granted the 2007 ones are more like £30 but that's not expensive surely, for something you can wear most of the year

the tights should only be keeping your legs warmish, it's your core that matters

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I don't spend much on cycling gear, esp. for commuting, and I'm warm enough. In the winter as long as my ears are covered, and I've got good gloves then shorts and bibtights, a gilet and a windproof over my jersey is usually enough. Base layer if it's brassmonkeys.

The only pricier stuff I've got is my club kit and matching arm'n'legwarmers. Otherwise it's the sale rail at the LBS and eBay. Occasional Wiggle bargain.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Decathlon do a good range of bib tights, including the 'bloody chilly' weather type - i.e. thicker sections over thigh area - work really well.

All depends upon if you have a decathlon near you... I like there stuff - well made, 2 year guarantee (easy if you use the loyalty card - no need for receipts) and it's also good value.

bonj2

merino base layer. £40 from blacks.
I got one the other day, it's awesome.
it's a wonder fabric - right warmth all the time, it's almost like it notices that you're going downhill and switches into heat preservation mode, and then when going up switches back into heat dissipation mode. That AND it dries pretty fast, and is dead comfy.

bonj2

bib longs - yes you get wha tyou pay for. I found decathlon cheapo bargain basement bin ones to be shite. Got some nike ones which were £50 reduced from £90 which are great, very comfy. and relatively windproof.

OP
OP
Unkraut

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Whilst ultimately you get what you pay for in terms of quality, I well remember cycling in to work when it was below freezing wearing jeans, and being absolutely frozen. My legs really hurt, but up to then I wouldn't even buy the Aldi bib tights as I didn't think I would want to be seen dead in gear like that.
I have long since repented me of that idea, and even fairly cheap wind-proof stuff is very much better than non-cycling clothing.

PrettyboyTim

In the cold I've been cycling in some fairly generic cotton tracksuit bottoms, and for my commute they're fine (about 7 miles each way). I guess if you're doing long distances it makes sense to get the expensive cycling stuff, but I can't see the point for shorter distances.

Tynan

Veteran
stuff doesn't have to be expensive, the dhb stuff wiggle knock seems to be good gear, everyone likes what they have

I've bought carefully but everything I've bought has been excellent so far, really does a job

I've got a mixture of cheap/expensive. As long as you know what you expect the piece of clothing to perform like, then bargains can be found quite regularly.
Got a couple of pieces of dhb stuff and for the money they are excellent, you can get better but you pay quite a bit more to get better results.

In the end its all down to how much you are prepared to fork out.

Top Bottom