Expensive but worthwhile cycling facilities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
In one of his last public acts before his death in 1832 Sir Walter Scott opened the Rink Bridge which carried the new Galashiels to Selkirk turnpike road across the River Tweed. This bridge, and an almost identical twin across the Ettrick Water half a mile to the south west at Lindean, carried all the road traffic on what became the A7 until both bridges and the road joining them were superseded in 1977 by a new bridge and road alignment. The Lindean Bridge was required for access so remained a public road and continued to be maintained, whilst the Rink Bridge had bollards placed at both ends and was in effect abandoned.
It continued to be used by cyclists, walkers and horseriders and eventually became part of an official cycle route. However, after 145 years of increasing traffic followed by 35 years of neglect it was showing signs of decay. Water penetration had caused the spandrel walls to bulge, which lead to large longitiudinal cracks appearing in the carriageway letting even more water in and causing further damage. Signs were placed warning of a dangerous structure and barriers placed to prevent its use, though both measures were completely ignored by everyone. There followed a lengthy argument between the Council, the landowners and the Scottish Government over who was responsible for maintaining the bridge. The latter eventually agreed to pick up the tab, but apart from some emergency shoring up of the flood relief arch which was in danger of collapse nothing happened for another 3 years.
In June 2016 a sign stating the bridge was closed for 69 weeks appeared, together with some proper effective barriers to back this up. The diversion route was a choice of the A7 or the very bumpy narrow footpath beside it.
By December the temporary shoring, centering, scaffolding and cofferdams were complete.

IMG_4474.JPG

and work had started to remove the papapet walls and the road surface.

IMG_4466.JPG

Due to further deterioration which had occured while all the arguing had been going on it was discovered that both main arches were now also in danger of collapse. All of the infill above the masonry arches had to be removed and a reinforced concrete saddle constructed to take the structural loads.
It's been nearly finished for weeks, with just the clearing up to do - but on this afternoon's ride :hyper:it's open again - now with proper road markings and bollards.

IMG_20171006_163212.jpg

The original coping stones have been replaced on the parapet.

IMG_20171006_163254.jpg

This is, of course, more of a restoration of a historical landmark than a cycling facility, but this hasn't stopped correspondence in the local papers moaning about all this money being spent on a few cyclists.

At £3,000,000 for a cycle lane about 50m long this is quite expensive. Anyone got any other candidates?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr Celine

Mr Celine

Discordian
[QUOTE 4987491, member: 9609"]I had noticed the shrouding coming off it a few weeks back and had wondered if it was imminent. It seems like it has been shut for about ever.

I will have to do a ride over the woll next week and try it out[/QUOTE]

By coincidence that was where I was going.
I'll need to get some pics of the finished article from the side, it was rather gloomy this afternoon so the light wouldn't have done it justice, plus I wanted to get 30 miles in before dark / rain set in.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
£1.4million.
No idea whether it was for just the bridge or the entire length of the route, but it's a lot.
No idea if it's worthwhile or not either as I've not yet ridden it and I don't commute, but it must be a nicer route into Bury than what the road network up here offers.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/13339919.amp

Actually, thinking about some of the areas it goes through, I'm not sure it would be nicer than the roads. :tongue:

OP
OP
Mr Celine

Mr Celine

Discordian
In the middle of the lanes. Why not on the white lines?
If riding towards the camera there is a sharp right turn immediately after the bollards, so the cycle lane is not in the middle but the bollards are evenly spaced.
It's immaterial anyway, as once the dog 'walkers' discover the bridge is open again they'll park in front of the bollards completing blocking the cycle track, which is what they did before the closure.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
If riding towards the camera there is a sharp right turn immediately after the bollards, so the cycle lane is not in the middle but the bollards are evenly spaced.
It's immaterial anyway, as once the dog 'walkers' discover the bridge is open again they'll park in front of the bollards completing blocking the cycle track, which is what they did before the closure.
Report them to the police and then if they don't respond report the police to the Police and Crime Commissioner.

Had to do this with a busy off cycle lane on my way to work which residents were using as a car park meaning you had to get off any push for about 50m unless you had a MTB. Reported it via FixMyStreet where the council pass it to the police so there was a record of it. A few tickets and the problem was resolved.

NickNick

The blue sign on the middle bollard makes no sense as it seems to indicate that the cycle lane on the right hand side is for pedestrians. They've managed to use the sign on the left and right bollards properly, surely the middle one should have just had a bike on it?

Report them to the police and then if they don't respond report the police to the Police and Crime Commissioner.

Had to do this with a busy off cycle lane on my way to work which residents were using as a car park meaning you had to get off any push for about 50m unless you had a MTB. Reported it via FixMyStreet where the council pass it to the police so there was a record of it. A few tickets and the problem was resolved.

How about:

Report them to the police and then if they don't respond throw used condoms and poop bags at them. In fact no point even calling the police unless one of the dog walkers is an actual terrorist. I prefer to save police time and resources by teaching people a lesson myself. I like to think of it as voluntary work for the police.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
How about:

Report them to the police and then if they don't respond throw used condoms and poop bags at them. In fact no point even calling the police unless one of the dog walkers is an actual terrorist. I prefer to save police time and resources by teaching people a lesson myself. I like to think of it as voluntary work for the police.
I would do but I think anyone thick enough to block a clearly marked cycle path is probably unable to make the connection between bags of sh*t on their car and sh*t parking. Yellow ticket with "Obstruction" on it does it nicely.

Plus TVP know it is less hassle to issue a few tickets then to get a clickbait cyclist/motorist WAR story in the Oxford Mail.

hqdefault.jpg

OP
OP
Mr Celine

Mr Celine

Discordian
Today's deluge suddenly ended at 4:00pm and the sun came out so I nipped out to take some better photos. I hadn't noticed that the dedication stone had been moved from its previous location on the outside of the parapet and is now much more accessible. Reading these things upside down leaning over a bridge is a skill rarely needed except on treasure hunts.

IMG_5044.JPG

The low autumn sun shows up the contrasting red and white stone used for the voussoirs.

IMG_5049.JPG

And for the benchmark fans

IMG_5063.JPG

Replaced at the location shown on the 1863 edition of the Ordnance Survey 25" to the mile map.

Top Bottom